Thread: ePSXe FMV's.

Thanks

Arrow ePSXe FMV's.

Hi, I'm wondering or not if its normal for the FMV's in games that run through ePSXe to normally be blurry.

Whenver I play a game and see any FMV's or anything, they are blury, and seem of low quality. Even though i've put several diffrent plugins on the "Nice" setting.

Is this something that we just can't get around yet? Or am I doing something wrong. I'm currently playing the game Fear Effect, which uses Moving Pre-rendered backgrounds as well. These have the same low quality as the FMV's do.

So, anybody know? Thank You.

p.s.: i'm not complaning, just curious if its normal and would like to get around it if possible.

EDIT: Oh, one more thing, i'm running it rom the CD-ROM. Do you think that could have anything to do it? The games running smoothly, but do you think that since i'm running it from the CD-Rom i'm getting lesser quality? Thanks again.
    Last edited by quaycur; 6th-February-2004 at 18:41.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Would to care to ahre some extra info like your GFX Card and Plugin and a screeny of your GFX plugin setup

Edit running from CD would not cause those effects, but it might cause sound and movie lag instead
    Last edited by Zorlon; 6th-February-2004 at 18:48.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

yeah sorry.

GeForce FX 5200.... but it still runs the games perfectly smooth.

Plugins, I usually just click the Nice setting, but the current one i'm trying is Petes Open GL. I just clicked the "Nice" setting. I've tried various other things but they dont seem to work.

I've tried other plugins as well, they all work about the same.

Except for some reason. When I use the OpenGL plugin, my screen is always slightly to the Right. Know how I can fix that ?

Oh and heres the pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Why you not using pete's OpenGL2

Please could You do a shot of a game with badly displayed FMV aswell.

Looking at that all I can think of at the mo is the Advanced blending, but recomend you try the GL2 pluging by pete instead your card should be fine with I use a GeForce FX 5600 256mem card myself and it works great.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I don't think you can do that much to clear up FMVs, because they're pre-rendered, not real-time. They've been made for a 320 x 280 resolution (standard PSX resolution), and that's where they look best. If you're playing at a higher resolution, then all your computer is doing is stretching out the image, and that makes it look worse (same as when you try to fullscreen an .avi file that's maximized for half screen resolution). Setting colour dithering on or something might help to even out the blurr and make it less obtrusive, but you're not going to be able to make them super sharp at higher resolutions.

Thanks

Thanks. I'll try both suggestions by tomorrow. (can't right now)

But while i'm here, In papermario I have Audio problems... After sometime into the game, or possibly in certain areas. The sound gets very crackly and distorted.

I've used all the Sound plugins i can think of.

I'm wondering if anybody has had any similar problems with paper mario and what they did. Thanks

*used, jabo/zilmar/azmir/schibo, ext.*

The best results I seem to get are with Jabo's. But after a while it does that crackling problem. Oh, and its JaboDirectSound 1.5

I've experiment with many diffrent settings on many diffrent versions. So does anybody know what I can do? ThankYou.

Thanks
    EP Points

The FMVs are a lower resolution compressed video format. Like zero_chance said. All it is doing is stratching it out. The reason they don't look as bad on your TV is because you are farther away and the TV naturally blurs images. I would turn on texture filtering.

Thanks

cool i understand now...

... but wheres the texture filtering button?

Also, if i have a game like FearEffect. Which uses moving backgrounds (like FMV's) Would that game look better on a lower resolution?

RockLEE|EV Guest

lower resolutions never help...they just make for higher framerates. and yes, it looks like that on PSX

i guess somethings you could do are...

-go into the FX drivers and set it some high anisotropic filtering settings
    -set it to graphics card moves and reads (pete's OGL)
    -somemore stuff
    -make it into window form so it isn't stretched
    sit far away