Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Music Appreciation Thread

Thanks

Satyricon - Nemesis Divina (1996) - http://www.satyricon.no/

Satyricon is one of the few very big norwegian Black Metal-bands that achieved world-fame without doing something controversial (like Burzum, Mayhem and Emperor, to name a few...), at least to my knowledge (though there was something going on last year, two live members raped a woman during the tour and one of the members is not allowed to enter Canada/US, thus Joey of Slipknot drumming for him instead).

Nemesis Divina is standard Black Metal accompanied by a few ambient sounds in the background, probably just to create an atmosphere fitting for the album. Satyr does a very good job with the grim vocals, guitars and bass, Frost's blast beats is on a frenzy as usual and Kvelduv (whoever that is) does a nice job on guitars as well. The production isn't exactly very good, but it's also not bad for a raw Black Metal-album either.

The problem with this album is that it's too repetive. Sure, it's aggressive riffs and blast beats are enjoyable for about 10 minutes, and then you'll just simply lose your "appetite" for it. There are some songs that simply saves the album though, and that's the opener "The Dawn Of A New Age" and "Mother North", both being two of the best Black Metal-songs ever. Atmospheric and epic Black Metal is just something I simply can't refuse. Way to go, Satyricon.

Enjoyable even if it's repetive, no song that's bad or just mediocre, everything is listenable and at times darned enjoyable. A few standouts here and there. Worth a purchase for most fans of the genre and band. Buy it for "Mother North", you won't regret it.

Rating: 7/10

---

Brainstorm - Liquid Monster (2005) - http://www.truemetal.org/brainstorm/

Brainstorm is a band from Germany who plays a mix of Heavy and Power Metal. Their single taken from 2005's Liquid Monster, All Those Words, left me rather unimpressed. Hopefully, the songs present on that single would be the most commercial-friendly songs.

Liquid Monster is filled with heavy riffing, non-cheesy vocals (weird, since the band is from Germany...), ok drumming and somewhat ok bass. The vocals aren't the best I've ever heard, but it's surprisingly without a cheesy accent (of course, there are some present) so I can actually listen to the album without having to check the lyrics. The production could've been better, they could for example improve it by making the bass a bit louder, but all in all, it's fine.

The album has a few fine tracks like for example "Worlds Are Coming Through", a very heavy song with kickass riffs. Also, the vocalist does a very good job singing on this one. I love the chorus and the solo as well. Great mid-paced track from Brainstorm. The second track called "Inside The Monster" is also enjoyable. Surprisingly, after giving it a few listens, "All Those Words" seems to be the best track on the album even if I slaughtered the single. It may be too commercial-friendly, but still it is very enjoyable. But after this, everything seems to go downhill. The songs seems to pick up speed, but it doesn't really help at all. Among all the mediocre tracks, "Despair To Drown" sticks out as one of the better tracks. Sadly, it's sourounded by mediocre tracks. Sad.

Not a bad album, just very "unstable" and boring (at least towards the end of it). It starts out great, but ends bad. The good songs pulls the score up quite a bit though. I suggest you wait for Bruce Dickinson's Tyranny Of Souls or pick up Difference by Dreamtale if you want some new Heavy/Power Metal.

Rating: 6/10

---

At Vance - Chained (2005) - http://www.at-vance.com/

At Vance is another (yes, another) band I've always wanted to check out, but I never did for some odd reason. At Vance is german, they play Power Metal (surprise!) similar (very very similar, I tell you) to Masterplan. They seem to put out at least one release every year (this is actually their 7th album, and their first album came out in 1999!), last year was a greatest hits-album. This year, Chained is their newest full-length. Will it please me?

The vocals is pretty damned good. The vocalist sounds exactly like J�rn Lande of Masterplan, and I must admit, Lande is one of my favorite vocalists of all time. Surprisingly good vocals from Mr. Lev�n. The instrumentals are also darned nice, especially the guitarist. He could probably nail every single solo I'd ask him to (Flight Of The Bumblebee...). The bassist and drummer also does their jobs flawlessly. The keyboards are pretty goddamned good, and the album wouldn't be the same without it. The production is nice, but the bass could have been reduced on some of the songs ("Invention No. Thirteen", I'm looking your way), but I guess that was intended rather that a mistake.

Chained is also filled with great tracks. "Rise From The Fall" reminds me of Symphony X (not that I can tell why...), "Heaven" is a typical Lande-esque tracks filled to the brim with great melodies, "Tell Me" is a Stratovarius/Concerto Moon-esque track, fast and enjoyable you could say. "Now Or Never" reminds me a bit of Helloween (Deris-era) and "Run For Your Life" sounds just like Yngwie J. Malmsteen (the good type, not the bad). As you can see, they've gotten alot of inspiration from various bands, and with that, they made the impressively varied Power Metal-album Chained. Don't miss out on this. Now, excuse me while I check out other At Vance-albums...

Rating: 8/10

---

Aborted - The Archaic Abattoir (2005) - http://www.goremageddon.be/

Aborted's newest effort The Archaic Abattoir is praised by some people as the greatest album of all time, and others doesn't like it at all. It has gotten quite mixed review, you could say. For those who doesn't know, Aborted plays Death Metal of the brutal kind (at least they used to...)

The Archaic Abattoir may not be as brutal as their previous album, Goremageddon, Aborted still remains brutal. It's gotten more melodic than before, there's a few guest-vocalists who has contributed (they could've left out that) and they've gotten a bit of "metalcore"-ish. Yes, sad it is. Still, they've managed to make a quite good album. The growling vocals are good, the guest-vocals could've been left out (you'll understand when you hear it), the riffs and solos are good, the bass is nice and the drummer must have 4 arms. The production isn't all too bad either.

This album has two main problems. 1. The guest-vocalists. Was it neccessary? 2. The vocals (the guests then) and riffs sometimes sounds like stolen from some kind of "metalcore"-band. These two problems ruins some of the songs, but of course, there still are many great songs on The Archaic Abattoir. Songs like "Dead Wreckoning", "Hecatomb", "The Gangrenous Epitaph" and "Threading On Vermillion Deception" (to name a few), pulls the score up significantly. The rest of the songs aren't all that bad either, but there are a few bad eggs that they could've left out.

All in all, this a nice album. It's rather short (36 minutes), but I think most people won't even notice. A typical example of an album that people will either love to hate or love to love.

---

Edguy - Vain Glory Opera (1998) - http://www.edguy.nu/

Edguy is a german Speed Power Metal-band (like most other bands from Germany are...) lead by Tobias Sammet, the man behind the metal-opera Avantasia and Ace Warrior. Edguy isn't like all other Power Metal-bands, they got a sense of humor, so don't take them too seriously.

Vain Glory Opera is their second album, and probably one of their better albums as well. Together with guests like fellow countryman Hansi Kursch from Blind Guardian helping with the vocals on a few cuts and Stratovarius' Timo Tolkki on guitars plus some others, Edguy has managed to make a killer-album that won't leave your CD-player for a while. The vocals are great, think of Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden with a german accent, and you'll have it. The instrumental work is performed without a single flaw too, and the production is mucho excellente! The lyrics aren't exactly the greatest thing ever, but what does it matter when the music kicks so much ass?

Want bad songs? You won't find any of them here. Sure, there are some songs that aren't as good as the rest on the album, but everything is listenable, even the intro! The fast "Until We Rise Again", the cheesy "How Many Miles", the ballad "Scarlet Rose", the two amazing songs with Kursch on; "Out Of Control" and "Vain Glory Opera" and even "Fairytale" and the Ultravox-cover "Hymn" are all songs that's amazingly pleasing songs. Songs that pulls down though are the symphonic ballad "Tomorrow" and the rather mildly dull songs "Walk On Fighting" and "No More Foolin'".

All in all, this is a damned good album which any fan of Power Metal in general should miss. An unique album that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Rating: 9/10

---

Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales (1984) - http://www.celticfrost.com/

German thrash-legends Celtic Frost "died" in 1990, when they released their last full-length, Vanity/Nemesis. I don't know the details, but the band has supposedly reunited, probably to record a new album, only time and patience can tell...

Morbid Tales is Celtic Frost's debut-album, and it's a killer old school Thrash-metal album wich has influenced countless of Thrash, Death and Black Metal-bands. Since Morbid Tales is from 1984, you can't expect it's production to be the best, but it works allright. The vocals provided by Warrior is awesome, he sounds a bit like Mot�rhead's Lemmy mixed together Venom's Cronos. A good combination that fits the music perfectly. The instrumental work isn't exactly top-notch, but it doesn't really matter much.

The album kicks your face in after a rather strange intro with the song "Vision Of Mortality" which is filled with a bucket of superb riffs. The title-track "Morbid Tales" also has a handful of neat mid-paced riffs that you'll headband easily to (in some kind of slow-motion way). All this can also be found in "Circle Of The Tyrants", except from the fact that this one is actually fast. The album ends with track "Danse Macabre" (at least the version I listened to), which is just an extended version of the intro plus a few effects that sounds like some kind of obscure orgasm. Not necessary, Frost.

All in all, this is a great album, but as most extreme metal-album from the eighties, this is a really short affair. But fear not! There are several versions with the Emperor's Return EP and some bonus-tracks included, so don't hesitate to pick those versions up.

---

Metalucifer - Heavy Metal Drill (1996) - http://www.truemetal.org/metalucifer/

Japanese Metalucifer is the sideproject of member of the japanese Black Metal-band Sabbat. They play NWOBHM (New Wave Of British Heavy Metal) which is very unusual for a 90's-based band (NWOBHM "died" in the 80's). For fans of Angel Witch and early Iron Maiden, read further.

Heavy Metal Drill is just like taking a time-machine back to the eighties. The production isn't really good, but it's how most NWOBHM-albums was produced. The vocals are nice, even if he speaks with a weird japanese accent, or "Engrish". The guitars are played incredibly well, they nail the solos without a single flaw. The bass and drumming is nice, but way too generic. The riff-sets in this album is pretty darned good, at does at times sounds very thrashy. Not that that's not a good thing though. The lyrics are mostly about the genre itself, Heavy Metal, so don't expect some really deep lyrics in the booklet.

Most songs are put together really well, but there are some songs that are worse than others, like "Soul Of Warrior", which is a pretty boring song despite it's kickass solo. But let's forget the bad things for a while and focus on the good shit. The 3 first songs of the albums are without a single doubt the best songs on the album, and all of the songs have something in common. They all start with the two words; "Heavy Metal" ("Heavy Metal Is My Way", "Heavy Metal Drill" and "Heavy Metal Hunter". Yes, I know it's overused. Anyway, all 3 songs are ridicously catchy and despite it's incredibly cheesy lyrics, it'll make you sing-a-long with the songs (remember to sing with a japanese accent, or it won't sound right!). "Heavy Metal Drill" is a quite simple song with a nice lead melody that will instantly stick itself like glue to your brain. The sound-effects of a drill in the first seconds of the song makes me think of the two first Running Wild-albums... "Wolf Man", "Headbanging" and "Metalucifer" is also worthy of a mention.

To sum it up, most of the songs on this album is very good. The few exceptions and the dated production pulls down the score a little bit though. Essential for fans of early Iron Maiden and Angel Witch and for people who just needs proof that there is 90's NWOBHM.

---

Stratovarius - Fright Night (1989) -

Finnish Stratovarius has had a rough time lately. Members been on and of the band more than anyone else due to some personal problems, it seems. They're back on their feet now though, and are going to release a new album this year, simply called Stratovarius. But let's not talk of the future, let's talk about the past, more precisely 1989, when the band released their debut Fright Night.

Fright Night is a bit different from Stratovarius later albums. This album was more melodic approach towards Heavy Metal than Power Metal, like they're now. The vocals back then was contributed by legendary guitarist Timo Tolkki, and he doesn't do a bad job, at least on their later albums (before he got replaced with Kotipelto). On this album, he sounds rather bad and his voice just doesn't fit the music. The guitars sounds well though, and we can't expect him to do a good job on both departments, or can we? The other instrumentals are ok and the production isn't too bad either, but of course, not without flaws.

The selection of songs is weak. The only songs that are decent enough to be mentioned is "Witch-Hunt", "Night Screamer" and "Fright Night", the rest is just plain boring stuff or crap. Some songs are too long, some songs shouldn't be allowed to see the light of day. Avoid this and get Visions and Destiny instead.

Rating: 4/10

---

Demons And Wizards - Touched By The Crimson King (2005) - http://www.demons-wizards.com/

What do you get if you combine the legendary Power Metal-band Blind Guardian with the patriotic Thrash/Heavy Metal-band Iced Earth? Iced Guardian? Blind Earth? Hell no. You get Demons & Wizards. The most important members of the band is Hansi Kursch and Jon Schaffer, who's the key members of the band they play in. So, is the result any good? Their first album Demons & Wizards was a good album which I've listened to far too little. Now, the band has a new record up their sleeves called Touched By The Crimson King (don't get any weird thoughts now...). Is it as good as their previous? Read on and find out.

My feelings on this album is a bit mixed. Hansi does as usual a good job (but it's not his greatest work of all time), Jon Schaffer's fast riffs and basswork is splendid as usual, but the drummer kills it all. The drumming is the most annoying drumming I've heard since Metallica's turkey St. Anger (I shouldn't compare them though). A thin and shallow sound that pulls down my impression of the album (Might be because this version is just a promotional copy, if the problem only persists on the promo, I'll rewrite this review when it's out). I can't remember I was annoyed by the drumming in Demons & Wizards. Oh well. The production apart from the drumming mixed in too high, is good. Nothing else than the drumming.

Touched By The Crimson King songs is a mixed bag. Some good, some decent, some shit. Everything starts off with the very Iced Earth-like song called "Crimson King", which kicks huge amounts of ass. The drumming isn't all too bad in this one either. Track 2 and 3 called "Beneath These Waves" and "Terror Train" is also good tracks. The best song on the album is in my opinion, "The Gunslinger", which someone may be familiar with (it was released as a sample). Those 4 are the best tracks on the album, the rest is decent. They should've left out the crappy ballads "Seize The Day" (I figure some Blind Guardian-fans will love this) and "Down Where I Am". Both songs are boring as hell. Oh, and by the way, this album ends with "Immigrant Song", which is actually a quite tolerable Led Zeppelin-cover. Impressive.

Some good material, some crap. I'm really dissapointed, I expected so much more from this album, but then again, it's not totally bad. It's decent enough. This may work as a filler for the wait for the new Blind Guardian and Iced Earth though...

---

Pagan's Mind - Enigmatic : Calling (2005) - http://www.pagansmind.com/

Norwegian Pagan's Mind is a popular band nowadays. They're the typical example on a band you'll either love or hate. They play Progressive Power Metal of the very unoriginal kind, and has already released 2 albums (and one re-recording) that was surprisingly nice in my ears. Not spectacular, but enjoyable. Now, they have a new album in stores called Enigmatic : Calling, is it any good?

With Enigmatic : Calling, Pagan's Mind has been able to preserve all the good things from their last albums, but they've also brought back the bad things (the lack of originality, for example). The vocals by Rue is as they was the on previous albums, superb. His voice fits the music perfectly. The instrumental work hasn't changed much either, except from the fact that mastermind Thorstein Aaby is gone but has been replaced with someone that's actually just as good as him. The production is crystal-clear, nothing to complain about there.

One really sad thing about Enigmatic : Calling, is that it sounds almost exactly the same as their previous. This may or may not be a good thing in other peoples' opinion, but I think they've should've evolved a bit and change. How about inviting an orchestra next time? In any case, the album is loaded with awesome songs. The opener "The Celestine Prophecy" is a shred-fest chock full of great melodies and vocals. "Enigmatic Mission" is full of speed, "Coming Home" shows us that they still "got it" with solos and the ending "New World Order" is a great "show-off" on their technical abilities, but also shows us that can handle melodies with ease. I could mention more songs, but I'll stop here.

All in all, this is a good album that's worth picking up. It might not be the most original thing in the world, but it still has some killer songs (but also filler). Fans surely won't be disapointed. If you're a fan of Symphony X or Adagio, be sure to check out Pagan's Mind quickly.

---

Lumsk - Troll (2005) - http://www.lumsk.com/

The Folk Metal/Rock-band Lumsk from Norway is ready to release their second album Troll, a follow-up to �smund Fr�gdegjevar. �smund Fr�gdegjevar was decent enough in my ears, but not really my cup of tea, even if Folk Metal is one of my favourite genres. Will Troll change this? (Note; this album is really hard to review for me for some really odd reason)

Nope. Not at all. This album is sure tolerable, with it's slow-paced guitars, violins in the background, piano and the great female vocals. Everything is well put together and the production is nice and clear, but I still feel there's something missing here, but I can't pinpoint it. It might be the lack of male vocals that makes the album feel so "empty". It has a few good songs like "Trolltind", "N�kken" and "Bl�ster", everything else is decent. Folk Metal/rock-fans will probably find something good in this and newcomers to the genre will also probably like it, but I can't seem to like it, even if I should.

Rating: 5/10
    Last edited by Howie; 15th-May-2005 at 11:31.

Thanks

Metallica - Metallica (1991) - http://metallica.com/

Everyone knows Metallica, so they don't need any further introduction I presume, but I'll write it anyway. Metallica started out as a Thrash Metal band (a great one too) and made unforgettable classics like Kill 'em All and Ride The Ligthning. After they created Metallica (often referred to as The Black Album) they went downhill. Load and Reload where total crap without any qualities from their previous albums. These weren't Thrash either, they've changed into some kind of unique (but still crap) Hard Rock-style (which they started experimenting with on Metallica, but at least that album was good). They then split-up, and the reunited with a new bassist (Trujillo, but however, he never got the chance to play on St. Anger, so they let Bob Rock do it instead). Metallica announced a new album, which where going to be "a hybrid between ...and Justice For All and Kill 'em All"... and then the day came. They released St. Anger, which sounded nothing like their previous albums. An undescribebable shitfest of an album that should've never been released. But let's not talk of today, let's go back to the early 90's.

Metallica (or The Black Album) was a change in Metallica's style. They threw away most of their Thrash metal and added Hard Rock/Heavy Metal commercial-sound to it. It may not be the smartest move they've done musically, but when it comes to money, it's the best thing they could've done (this album sold countless of copies...). Hetfield's voice sounds great on this album, the guitars from both Hetfield and Hammet are great, so is the bass and drumming. The production is good enough, at least alot better than ... and Justice For All's shitty production.

The album has some quality songs like "Sad But True", "The Unforgiven", "The God That Failed" and "Holier Than Thou" to name a few of them, but it also has some shitty songs I've never liked. "Enter Sandman" and "Nothing Else Matters" was never good in my ears, but they're ok compared to the best (!) songs from Load and Reload. All in all, this album is good. It may not appeal to fans of their older works, but it will surely find a place in the hearts of the people who enjoys their newest works.

Other albums by this artist:
    Kill 'em All: 9/10
    Ride The Lightning: 10/10
    Master Of Puppets: 8/10
    ...and Justice For All: 8/10
    Load: 3/10
    Reload: 2/10
    St. Anger: 1/10

---

Tiamat - A Deeper Kind Of Slumber (1997) - http://www.churchoftiamat.com/

Sweden's Tiamat started out as Death Metal, but changed into Gothic/Atmospheric Rock after just a few albums (Katatonia and Sentenced, anyone?). A Deeper Kind Of Slumber is one of their newer experimental Gothic/Atmospheric Rock-albums. Sounds like a weird combo, doesn't it? Well, it isn't. Sounds boring? Well, yes it is.

While everything sounds good mixed together in this album, it still remains as one of the most boring albums I've ever heard. It can be as much atmospheric it wants to, it doesn't change a thing. The vocals in this album are nice as on their other albums, but for some really odd reason, the band seems to rely more on electronic sounds rather than instruments on some songs. In my point of view, this isn't a good thing, but luckily, this is just on a few songs. The instrumental work is just fine, and the production is crystal-clear.

The one hour-long album is split into a total of 13 tracks, some short, some longer. The quality of the tracks varies quite alot too, some ridicously bad ones and a few good ones. I'll start by mentioning the oh-so-atmospheric and Katatonia-like (at least in my opinion) "Cold Seed", which is the album's opener. A very nice and rocked song. "The Whores of Babylon" and "The Desolate One" are also worth mentioning. The rest? Boring or just decent. I would never ever want to bore myself through "Mount Marilyn" again (which is 10 minutes long).

If you like newer Katatonia or Sentenced (they're both quite different from Tiamat, but similar in a few ways...), don't waste your money on this (unless it's only a dollar and you only want the superb cover-art). Pick up Judas Christ by the same band instead.

The Astral Sleep - 5/10
    Wildhoney - 6/10
    Judas Christ - 7/10

---

Hin Onde - Songs Of Battle (2000) - http://www.bnrmetal.com/groups/hion.htm

Hin Onde is a Viking/Folk Metal-band from Finland. It seems that these guys hasn't got much attention at all (at least I haven't heard much about them). Does Hin Onde deserve more reputation?

I'm going to answer that question quick; yes, they do. The growling are very good, though the clean vocals sounds a bit retarded in my opinion. The instrumentals are good, the keyboards works fine (sounds a bit like a "weaker" version of Finntroll and Moonsorrow at times, to be honest) and the production is OK, though it could use some improvement here and there.

The albums is packed with killer songs. "Songs Of Battle", "House Of Hel", "Soulswan", "Twelve Valiant Men", "24th Of September 1155" and "Paganheart" are all great songs from the 11-songs album (differs from version to version). The rest is also decent. If you enjoy such bands as Finntroll, Moonsorrow, Ensiferum etc., don't hesitate to pick this one up.

---

Dead Soul Tribe - A Murder Of Crows (2003) - http://www.deadsoultribe.com/

I first got to know Dead Soul Tribe by listening to the newest Ayreon-album, The Human Equation, where their vocalist Devon Graves contributed with his voice to songs like for example the great song "Day Eight: School", but let's focus on his main project, Dead Soul Tribe, more specifically the album A Murder Of Crows.

A Murder Of Crows gives us a more dark version of Green Carnation's first album. Progressive Metal mixed with a bit of Doom Metal. The vocals are as they where on The Human Equation, brilliant. The vocalists voice fits the music so perfect that I doubt anyone could replace him. He has a soft, emotional and mellow voice. The instrumental work is OK, but it could be better though. The production isn't all too bad either, but it feels like the drums drowns in everything else at times. That could've been fixed.

There are a few good songs here and there, but overall, most are just decent. The vocals often saves bad songs from being really bad. The "sad and dark mood" in this album just doesn't fit a few of the tracks they've put on the album. Take "Black Smoke And Mirrors" for example. Sure, it's a good track, but when the flutes starts playing that happy melody, it ruins the "mood" of the album. If I had to mention two songs from this album that are standouts, then I'm going to have to say the two "Feed"-songs; "Stone By Stone" and "The Awakening". Brilliant songs.

Overall, this is quite enjoyable. The good tracks pulls up a lot, the mediocre pulls down a bit. If you enjoy Green Carnation, you'll love this. Next time it's dark and rainy outside, put this on.

---

Thunderstone - Tool Of The Devil (2005) - http://www.thunderstone.org/

The finnish Power Metal-band Thunderstone is a band I couldn't care less for than I already do. Their debut Thunderstone was decent enough but far from anything special and unique. They're what you get if you mix Masterplan with Stratovarius. This sounds interesting at first, but you'll discover soon that this isn't as interesting as you thought it was. Thunderstone's newest album is called Tools Of Destruction, is it better than their previous albums?

Like most bands from the same genre as Thunderstone, the words "change" or "different" does not exist at all. When I first heard the single Tool Of The Devil, I was not impressed at all. The song is decent, but it sounds exactly the same as any track from their previous albums, and this is sad. The vocalist and the others are all talented at playing music, but they need to start write better music (not that they're really bad at it, it's just that I see room for improvement, and a lot of it too). The songs on Tools Of Destruction are mostly decent, however, they actually managed to put in some very good songs.

Let's take the good things first. The opener "Tool Of The Devil" is as I said, very unoriginal. Still, after listening to this song a few times I'm starting to like it alot. Second track "Without Wings" is simply awesome and manages to push this album's score up. In my opinion, "Without Wings" is without a single doubt their best track ever written. Very Stratovarius-like, especially the synths. Third song is also nice, even if the title is a little bit suspicious: "Liquid Of The Kings" and after that, a decent mid-paced track called (with a suspicous title as well) "I Will Come Again". The rest of the songs isn't all too bad either actually, just very unoriginal. There is one turkey I need to mention though, "Land Of Innocence". Far too long, reminds me too much of Dream Theater and has bad lyrics.

All in all, this is just the same as their previous albums; just decent. If you liked the previous, I doubt this will disapoint you.

Thunderstone - 6/10

---

Epica - Consign To Oblivion (2005) - http://www.epica.nl/

Everyone knows that Gothic Metal with female vocals isn't exactly my most favoured genre, and especially when they're from Netherlands (Within Temptation, anyone?). Epica is from Netherlands and plays Symphonic Gothic Metal, similar to Within Temptation. But are they as bad as Within Temptation? Certainly not.

While I haven't heard their debut-album yet, I can hear that this is a band that got alot ahead of them. Consign To Oblivion is packed with great vocals, superb instrumental work from all the musicians, good orchestral parts and clean production. It's packed with 11 songs, some great, some just decent and there's also some bad songs too, sadly. If I where to name particular songs, I can mention the "A New Age Dawns"-trilogy (and the symphonic prologue), the track that's also a single called "Solitary Ground" and "Blank Infinity", to name a few good songs. What pulls the score for this album down is the length. 52 minutes is a bit too long, and at least 7 minutes could've been cut down. Also, the bad songs pulls down. You like Within Temptation, you'll most likely love this. Throw away your Within Temptation CD's and listen to Epica instead.

---

Morgana Lefay - Grand Materia (2005) - http://www.lefay.org/

After not having released anything since 1999 (at least not under the name of Morgana Lefay, but under the name Lefay. They change back and forth for some very odd reason), the Power Metal-band from Sweden is back with a new release called Grand Materia.

Morgana Lefay's vocalist is kind of special. He has his own kind of voice. He can go from sounding like Grave Digger's Chris Bolthendahl to Death's Chuck Schuldiner in the same song. However, Chris is a very bad vocalist and Schuldiner is so-so, which means that the vocals on this album ranges from bad to OK. The instrumental work is very good, especially the guitar-solos. The songs is a mixed bag. It remind me more of Melodic Death Metal without growling and harsh vocals than Power Metal at times, weird but true. The production isn't without flaws, the vocals could've been mixed in lower, but everything else is OK.

The album has a few great songs, like "My Funeral Is Calling" and "I Roam" which both kicks ass, but the rest just isn't as good. They seem to suffer from the same syndrome as Stratovarius; 2 good songs, a few decent and the rest is crap. Sadly, this album has infected. The album scores quite a few points for the good songs and also manages to save itself from only 2 stars and climbs up to 2 and a half star.

---

Trollheim's Grott - Bloodsoaked And Ill-Fated (2003) - http://www.trollheimsgrott.com/

Trollheim's Grott hails from Finland and plays Black Metal, but not the usual kind of Black Metal. It's combined with Death Metal and some Industrial stuff too (at least that's what it sounds like in my ears). Hot or not?

Bloodsoaked And Ill-Fated sure sounds great. The vocalist's grim vocals sounds awesome, the guitars and bass is great, the drumming is good and the keyboards adds "spice" to something that would've been a very boring album without. Without the keyboards, this would be quite a snooze-fest. Actually, the albums is kind of boring even with the synths. Everything is well put together and the production is good, but the album is too repetive for it's own good. "Dehumanize" and "Addicted To Lethal Injections" (this sounds like newer Mortiis with grim vocals, actually) are two songs worthy a mention.

---

Blind Guardian - Battalions Of Fear (1988) - http://www.blind-guardian.com/

Blind Guardian has not always been Power Metal, they used to play what people call "Speed" Metal. What is this, you ask? Try asking alot of people, you'll get different answers. My definition is; "Speedy Power Metal, often combined with thrashy-riffs". This is exactly how Battalions of Fear (and even Follow The Blind), Blind Guardian's debut, sounds like.

While it's without a doubt not their best effort, it's certainly a good and underappreciated album. Hansi's vocals are very good here as well as on their other albums, the instrumental work is not too bad too, but they could've polished it a bit (at least they fixed this in their later albums...). The production is pretty standard for this type of albums, nothing bad here really.

The songs are all above good. "Majesty", "Guardian Of The Blind" and "Run For The Night" are three killer songs that would be awesome to hear live (unfortuneately, I've not been able to hear any of the songs on a live-recording except from "Run For The Night", which was a bonus-track on their third album if I'm not mistaken". The first part of the CD is much better than the last part, where the two rather boring but OK instrumental-tracks "By The Gates Of Moria" and "Gandalf's Rebirth" are.

All in all, this is quite underrated. Of course, it's not even near albums such as Nightfall In Middle-Earth, but it's still good. It's actually one of their worse albums, and that says alot about how much quality material Blind Guardian has put out.

Somewhere Far Beyond: 9/10
    Nightfall In Middle-Earth: 10/10
    A Night At The Opera: 9/10

---

Iron Savior - Unification (1998) - http://www.iron-savior.com/

Take Gamma Ray, remove some of Kai Hansen's vocals and add Piet Sielck's vocals. What do you have then? Iron Savior. Fast Power Metal with very thrashy riffs, like Gamma Ray.

Like their albums (at least the two I've heard), this is very good. It may be hard to getting used to the vocals, but it's easier than getting used to Kai Hansen's (which is a guest on this album, not surprisingly) nasal vocals. The instrumentals all work well, but the drumming could use some improvements here and there. The production is all in all very good, nothing very questionable.

The album is filled with killers. The whole show starts off with the insanely good tracks "Coming Home", "Starborn" and "Deady Sleep" (which features Kai Hansen of Gamma Ray on vocals). The fourth song "Forces Of Rage" sounds a lot like Iron Savior's later material, and that can only be a good thing. Fifth song, "Captain's Log", is weird. It's now clear what lyrical theme Unification has, space. Star Trek, anyone? Skipping over a few tracks, we find "Mind Over Matter", which also kicks major ass. The follow song, "Prisoner Of The Void" remind me of Judas Priest's "Riding On The Wind", but it's probably just because of the intro. But now, let's skip to the end. Here, you'll find Helloween-cover "Gorgar" (with Kai Hansen on the vocals, which also provided vocals and guitars in the original Helloween-recording) and the Black Sabbath-cover "Neon Knights", which both are surprisingly good to be covers. But the album doesn't end here. Iron Savior doesn't end the album, a band called Excelsis does, with the song "Dragonslayer". Why is it there? I have no idea, but the song is actually decent enough, even if it doesn't fit at all into the album's flow.

Like Gamma Ray? I guarantee you'll love this.

Dark Assualt - 8/10
    Condition Red - 8/10

---

Sentenced - North From Here (1993) - http://www.sentenced.org/

Sentenced is one of few very popular that started out as Death Metal, and went over to Gothic Rock. Tiamat and Katatonia, for example, did this. Well then, how is Sentenced's Death Metal-album, North from Here?

Compared to Shadows Of The Past, their first album, this is a bit different. It's more melodic, the vocals has improved and the songwriting has also improved (but just a little bit), but just slightly. The guitars are nice, the bass works out fine, the drumming works and the production fits nicely. As said, as musicians they're fine on this album, but they're not good at writing songs...

The songs doesn't suck, really, but they're just boring as fuck. OK, not all, but most of them are. The opener "My Sky Is Darker Than Thine" is one of the better tracks on the album. A song with dark atmosphere yet melodic soloing inbetween. Pretty good shit. Next song, "Wings", follows the same steps as the first song, but it's not as good as it. It's slower and more boring. It's listenable though. "Fields of Blood, Harvester of Hate" is probably the best song on the album, and it reminds me a lot of something that an early Children Of Bodom would do. Good stuff. After those three songs, it goes downhill. Boring and very uninteresting, repetive stuff. Sad, this album had the potential, but didn't use it.

Better than their first album, but not much. Not a must for fans of newer Sentenced, you should stick to their Gothic Rock-material (which is better in my opinion).

Shadows Of The Past - 5/10

---

Kiuas - The Spirit Of Ukko (2005) - http://www.kiuas.net/

Finnish Kiuas (finnish for bathhouse stove) has already been able to release 3 EP's that I have not had the chance to hear yet, but after hearing The Spirit of Ukko, I will most likely try it. Why? Because The Spirit of Ukko is fucking brilliant.

What genre are they, you ask? I have no idea. The Metal Archives lists them as "Melodic Metal", but that's not really a genre is it? To me, it sounds like Power, Folk, Melodic Death and Heavy Metal, all at once. No, I'm not joking. People will probably think "Argh, this probably sounds messy as hell!". Certainly not. The vocalist does a great job with the vocals, the guitarists does their jobs flawlessly and the drumming and bass couldn't be any better. The production is also clean and spotless.

There are 8 songs on this album, and there ain't any of them that's not great. The album start of with the title-track, "The Spirit Of Ukko". This sounds at first like melodic and symphonic Black Metal, then it suddenly turns into something that sounds more like melodic Death Metal, and then Power Metal. It's incredible how they combined that many genres and didn't fail at making a good album. Surprising. All other songs are like this (just that the genres varies at the songs). "The Spirit Of Ukko" and "Warrior Soul" are without a doubt the two best songs on the album.

The only reason I can see to pull this down from a perfect score, is it's length. 42 minutes is kind of short in albums of this type, so I wouldn't mind 2 extra songs. Recommended to people who likes... good music (original?). Try this for something new, refreshing and original. You won't regret.
    Last edited by Howie; 27th-May-2005 at 15:18.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Howie
    Kiuas - The Spirit Of Ukko (2005) - http://www.kiuas.net/

Finnish Kiuas (finnish for bathhouse stove) has already been able to release 3 EP's that I have not had the chance to hear yet, but after hearing The Spirit of Ukko, I will most likely try it. Why? Because The Spirit of Ukko is fucking brilliant.

What genre are they, you ask? I have no idea. The Metal Archives lists them as "Melodic Metal", but that's not really a genre is it? To me, it sounds like Power, Folk, Melodic Death and Heavy Metal, all at once. No, I'm not joking. People will probably think "Argh, this probably sounds messy as hell!". Certainly not. The vocalist does a great job with the vocals, the guitarists does their jobs flawlessly and the drumming and bass couldn't be any better. The production is also clean and spotless.

There are 8 songs on this album, and there ain't any of them that's not great. The album start of with the title-track, "The Spirit Of Ukko". This sounds at first like melodic and symphonic Black Metal, then it suddenly turns into something that sounds more like melodic Death Metal, and then Power Metal. It's incredible how they combined that many genres and didn't fail at making a good album. Surprising. All other songs are like this (just that the genres varies at the songs). "The Spirit Of Ukko" and "Warrior Soul" are without a doubt the two best songs on the album.

The only reason I can see to pull this down from a perfect score, is it's length. 42 minutes is kind of short in albums of this type, so I wouldn't mind 2 extra songs. Recommended to people who likes... good music (original?). Try this for something new, refreshing and original. You won't regret.
    I got the EPs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Sky
    I got the EPs
    I heard the EP's different from their album, is this true?

Thanks

I heard the EP's different from their album, is this true?
    Not that different. Still quite similiar

Thanks

Drudkh - The Swan Road (2005) - http://www.supernalmusic.com/labels/supernal/drudkh.htm

Ukrainian Drudkh (means "Wood" in Sanskrit) plays Black Metal of the epic kind. These guys seems to be popular among fans of the genre, but what about me? Will I be impressed? After the first listen, no, but after a few more? Yes.

Epic Black Metal is my favourite type of Black Metal, and therefore, I should automatically like this album, and indeed, I do like this. It grows on you with every listen and sticks yourself to your brain. The vocals are great and every instrument is played flawlessly. Drudkh makes use of melodic solos and beautiful acoustic guitarmelodies. The production isn't too great, but we shouldn't expect too much from a Black Metal-album, but then again, the production of this album is pretty good compared to other bands who plays similar music, like Summoning (OK, they're not really that similar, but that's the only popular band I can think of right now...)

The album is split into 6 parts, or songs, if you'd like. All tracks are equally great in my opinion (with the exception of track 6, which I will mention later). "Eternal Sun", the opener, is a more fast-paced track with ordinary blast-beat drumming and "cold" and "atmospheric" riffs. Another mentionable song is "Blood", which starts out with a nice acoustic part and changes into a more slow-paced, Viking Metal-like track. Great song, but what's up with the ending of the album? It's an acoustic Folksong-like track with rather retarded vocals. This track is in my view absolutely horrible and "kills" the atmosphere of the album. Drudkh, why didn't you just remove this piece of crap and replace it with an acoustic-only track? Oh well. Also, I'd expect something more from this track as it's called "Song Of Sich Destruction". Cool name, horrible song.

As said, this album would've gotten a much better score without "Song Of Sich Destruction", but it's still enjoyable.

---

Ter�sbetoni - Metallitotuus (2005) - http://www.terasbetoni.com/

I've heard many rumors about Ter�sbetoni being the cheesiest band in the world. "They're like a mix between Hammerfall and Manowar!", people said. I've never liked Hammerfall, but bands that sounds like Manowar I cannot resist.

The rumors where true, these guys actually sounds like both bands mixed. The band's performance is pretty good. The vocals are OK (more like Cans than Adams, sadly), the instrumental work is good but it's not like I'll keep this band in mind whenever I hear a kickass solo. The production is pretty good as well. But let's move on to the actual songs (please note; all songs are in finnish, so I can tell wether the lyrics is cheesy as fuck or not, but I'm guessing they are. Just look at the cover of the normal version of the album and you'll see what I mean).

The album consists of 11 pieces of cheese. Sadly, there's far too few good songs here, I'm afraid. The only good songs I've found so far is "Taivas Ly� Tulta" and "Ter�ksen Varjo", which both has been released on single and "Metallitotuus". Most of the rest is listenable and decent enough, but there's some really bad songs in there too ("�l� Kerro Meille", for example). All in all, a cheesy album that has two great songs, some bad songs and some incredibly shitty songs. Sad but true.

---

Overkill - Under The Influence (1988) - http://wreckingcrew.com/crew/

Overkill is without a doubt one of the most important bands in the Thrash Metal-genre. They're considered the "inventors" of the genre by many, many people. In 2005, they released the rather mediocre ReliXIV, which is their worst album in years. Let's go back to the 'eighties, 1988 to be exact, when Overkill released their third album called Under The Influence.

Under The Influence is pretty damned good when it comes to instrumental work. Riffs, basslines and drumming is performed without a flaw. The only thing that bothers me is the vocalist, which calls himself "Blitz". Sure, he has his own style like Lemmy of Mot�rhead and Exodus' ex-member Zetro. I never liked Blitz's vocals (the vocals are better on the newer albums, still nothing "really good") and I don't think they're any good really. Even if I don't like him, Overkill wouldn't be Overkill without him.

There are plenty of great, riff-filled and agressive songs here, but I'll just mention a few of them. I'll start by mention the opener, "Shred", which has a great opening-riff which reminds of something of Hell Awaits by the gods themselves, Slayer. The songs also got some killer-solos inbetween. "Never Say Never" is also good, though not as agressive as the first song. "Hello From The Gutter" is one of Overkill's most well-known songs, and in my opinion, one of their better songs. Good riffs and the vocals is quite tolerable. "End Of The Line" is a super 7-minutes long thrashing track that's without a fucking doubt the best song on the album.

Under The Influence is great alright, but it's not perfect. There is only one song that sucks. "Drunken Wisdom" is the name. The song is slow (there are parts that are faster than other though), sludgy and incredibly boring. This song probably influenced (get it? Yes, it's not very funny, I know.) Pantera and Crowbar. Under The Influence is well worth getting despite the crappy vocals and "Drunken Wisdom". Like thrash? You'll LOVE this.

Bloodletting - 8/10
    ReliXIV - 5/10

---

Rage - End Of All Days (1996) - http://www.rage-on.de/

German Rage (not to be confused with Rage Against The Machine or the other thousands of bands with "Rage" in it) has released a bunch of albums, some great and some not. Even so, they haven't gotten any of the "attention" they deserve, they always is in the shadows of other legendary German Power Metal-bands like Helloween.

As said, Rage has good albums and bad albums. End Of All Days doesn't belong in any of those categories, it falls in between both. End Of All Days is a typical Rage-album; the instrumental work is good as always and the typical "Rage-only!"-vocals is there. The soloing is as always too, so you can easily say it's nothing original and that Rage is not really an experimental band (well, they did have some orchestraes and shit with them, but that's not really very original, right?).

End Of All Days is a mixed bags when it comes to songs. It comes with a total of 14 songs (varies, it depends on which version you have), and even with that huge amount of songs, I'm unable to find any killer songs, like Rage usually has. However, all songs are listenable and there's nothing really bad here. "Under Control", "Deep In The Blackest Hole" and "End Of All Days" are all good songs, but they just didn't grab my attention as much as songs on like, for example, Soundchaser. Pretty much every song on this album is decent, so to say.

Not the best Rage-album, but still worth a listen. If you want to buy it, make sure you get the version where their cover of Iron Maiden's "The Trooper" is on it. Great coversong.

XIII - 7/10
    Unity - 8/10

---

Alice In Chains - Dirt (1992) - http://www.aliceinchains.net/

Grunge is one of those genres I don't know shit about. When I hear the word "Grunge", I immediately think; Nirvana, Soundgarden and Alice In Chains. This album is called Dirt, and is by, you guessed it, Alice In Chains.

While I'm not able to describe this album in depth, I can still tell if I like it or not, and I do. Not only a little, but a lot. After the first listen, the album didn't real "stick" to my ears that well, but after listening more, I couldn't stop listening. Dirt is packed with killer-tracks like "Them Bones" (which was featured on the Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas-soundtrack, this was where I first heard the band), the incredible "Dam That River" and "God Smack", which shares names with the most boring band in the whole world, Godsmack. There are also some fairly weak tracks, but I'll skip mentioning those.

Layne Stayley (R.I.P.) presents us to something really unique and special. Heavy riffs, great vocals (may not appeal to some people) and good bass and drumming. The production is also without flaws. Highly recommended.

---

Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction (1984) - http://www.jagpanzer.com/

The American Heavy/Power Metal-band Jag Panzer has released a bunch of albums, some better than others. Their 2004-release Casting The Stones was well worth a listen, but how about their debut called Ample Destruction from as far back as 1984?

I'm a huge fan of old-school Heavy Metal-albums such as Ample Destruction, but this album just didn't "grip my balls" as much as other bands of the genre. Sure, the album's not too bad, but it's not really as great as people tend to claim it to be. The vocals are pretty good, the instrumental-work is not too bad either and the production smells of the 'eighties, not that it matters much though, I can't imagine the album with a good production.

There are a total of 12 songs here, and there's a lot of good songs and a lot of song that are not so good. Let's take some of the good songs first; the opener "Licensed To Kill" is an agressive song with superb screaming and riffs, "Harder Than Steel" has riffs you probably won't forget in a while, it reminds me of somewhat of Iron Maiden's very early days. "The Crucifix" is also a pretty godamned good song, it starts of slow with some acoustic parts and then builds up and gets heavier and heavier. A song well worth giving a listen. Now for the bad stuff; "Eyes Of The Night" is simply shit and I'm not that fond of Warfare either. I could mention more good and bad, but I'll leave it like this.

All in all, this is quite a good album really, but not "The World's Best Heavy Metal-album" as some people thinks. As Casting The Stones, this is well worth a listen.

Casting The Stones - 7/10
    Last edited by Howie; 2nd-June-2005 at 15:34.

Thanks

Spiritual Beggars - Demons

Spiritual Beggars are really different from what I usually listen too they are classified as Stoner, Retro, Groove in metal archives. Weird eh? Spiritual Beggars' music has a very retro feeling to it. It is very uplifting and will make you feel good . The starting track "Inner Strength (Intro)" is a very good instrumental to start the album of. Then the amazing starting riff for "Throwing Your Life Away" blasts right into your face. JB's voice has really improved since his last album On Fire. Michael Amott impresses us once again with his retro riffs and lead work. Bassline is good as well as the drumming. The whole album stands out. Favourite tracks most be "Inner Strength (Intro)" and "Treading Water" and "Through The Halls"

Thanks

Although Metallica is the one band he's reviewed that I've listened to, I'd just like to say that Howie, you do a fucking good write up of CD's. I haven't posted here yet cos I can't be arsed to review just one album, so I could never manage all the ones you have
    Increase the size of your wang - PM crusher the words "poo poo" for extra length now!

Beware Coward!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ton
    Yeah that'sit , you're just so sexy , woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hangman
    Although Metallica is the one band he's reviewed that I've listened to, I'd just like to say that Howie, you do a fucking good write up of CD's. I haven't posted here yet cos I can't be arsed to review just one album, so I could never manage all the ones you have
    This thread could use some activity, so you better start writing!

---

Catamenia - Winternight Tragedies (2005) - http://www.catamenia.net/

Catamenia, like many other bands from Finland, play Melodic Black Metal. Good or not? I don't know about their other albums, but I certainly enjoyed Winternight Tragedies a lot.

The keywords here are "melodic riffs", "solos" and "blastbeats". Mix those with great vocals and some ambient in the background, and you got Winternight Tragedies. The vocals are good, but at times it seems to be forced. There's a little bit of clean vocals too, it doesn't sound too bad either. The guitars and bass is great, but the bass could've been a bit louder than it is (blame the producer). The drumming is good, but they use blast-beats a bit too much, so it get's tiring after a while. The production is acceptable, it's not perfect but it certainly ain't unbearable either.

The 47 minutes long album is divided into 10 different songs. It starts of with the best song, "The Heart Of Darkness". A fast-paced song with superb riffs and blast-beats. The vocals are also nice here. "Verikansa", "Kaamos Warrior" and "Iced Over" are also a few of the other brilliant songs in here. Winternight Tragedies has no bad songs, so I can't really mention any. The only song that lacks of the same quality as the other songs is "Fuel For Hatred", a cover of the already bad Satyricon-song. At least Catamenia managed to make it better.

If you see this, don't hesitate to pick it up. It's as close to 4 and a half star as it can be, but not close enough, so I'm giving it only 4 stars. I'd give it 5 stars if they ever made a poster of the cover-art and bundled it together with the album for free (OK, just a joke, but the cover-art is awesome).

Thanks

Catamenia, like many other bands from Finland, play Melodic Black Metal. Good or not? I don't know about their other albums, but I certainly enjoyed Winternight Tragedies a lot.
    Try "ChaosBorn" and "Halls Of Frozen North"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Sky
    Try "ChaosBorn" and "Halls Of Frozen North"
    Will get them soon.

---

Metalium - Chapter Five: Demons of Insanity (2005) - http://www.metalium.de/

The German Heavy/Power Metal-band Metalium is out with another part of their series of albums (probably based on some kind of concept, I haven't bothered checking) and this will be the fifth part, which is called Demons Of Insanity (catchy name). I've given it a listen, read on for my thoughts on it.

While I really haven't listened much (I've heard a bit of Millenium Metal, which sounded pretty good) to their earlier works, this sounds pretty much the same. The vocals are pretty standard stuff, nothing spine-chilling, but good, nevertheless. The instrumental-work is also good, nothing really good, nothing bad. The little keyboards present are great, but what the hell else can you expect from Don Airey himself? The production isn't all that bad, but the drumming is too low, the same with the bass.

The album is a bit over 1 hour long and consists of 14 songs. No matter how much I listen to this, I'm unable to find any standouts, neither good or bad. I should just go ahead and file EVERY single song in the "Decent"-folder. Everything is straight-forward Power/Heavy Metal, it doesn't change once over the course of 14 songs. Believe me,it gets tiring after a while. At least I found a difference between this album and their debut; this is a hell lot more boring.

Fans will probably love this if they loved their previous. I mean, it's almost the same shit. Others? Stay away.

---

Klimt 1918 - Dopoguerra (2005) - http://www.klimt1918.com/

From Italy comes Klimt 1918 to bring us a brand new album filled with Gothic Metal! Or maybe not. I don't know about the "Gothic"-part, but it's certainly not Metal.

Since I'm not really much into Gothic Rock, this band sounds to me like Placebo for some reason. Dopoguerra is certainly not a really bad album, but it's not really my cup of tea. The instrumental work, production and vocals are all done flawlessly and the songwriting isn't all that bad either. What bothers me is that most of the songs sounds pretty much the same throughout the whole album and also, the album gets boring after a listen. "They Were Wed By The Sea", "Rachel" and "La Tregua" (this song is more metal than anything else in the album near the end, you'll notice it right away) are worth giving a listen, the rest is snoozable.

---

Entombed - Clandestine (1991) - http://www.entombed.org/

The swedish Death-thrashers(or "Death Rockers" as they are nowadays) has released several albums of the years and changed their style to "Death'n'Roll", as it's called. In 2004 (it was pushed back to 2005, but I heard it in 2004) they released their rather OK Unreal Estate-live album. Let's take a look at Clandestine from their Death/Thrash-Metal era.

While my experience with Entombed is rather little, I have no doubts that Clandestine is their best album. The vocals done by Nicke Anderson (not Johnny Dordevic, which the booklet claims) is great. His vocals fits the music just right. The instrumental work is great, every single riff, bassline and drumline is highly enjoyable. The production is pretty good, considering the age and genre (most extreme Metal-albums was pretty underproduced in the 'eighties and early 'nineties).

The album consists of 9 tracks, which all are good, though some are better than others. The classic "Evilyn" still remains as one of my favourite Death/Thrash-tracks, the groovish "Severe Burns" totally crushes everything in it's way and "Aeon" sounds like something they could've done in their current era, just a bit more brutal. I don't really have anything bad to say about the album, other than that the song "Through The Collonades" seems to drag on and on. The album is best enjoyed listened to in one sitting with an ice-cold beverage and a head ready to headbang to death.

---

Dark Moor - Dark Moor (2003) - http://www.dark-moor.com/

With their self-titled album, Dark Moor tried to make a follow-up to the superior The Gates of Oblivion. This little experiment was pretty much doomed to fail, because of the departure of 3 key members of the band, including the excellent female vocalist Elisa C. Martin. All these 3 went on to make Dreamaker, a Power Metal-band with some Thrash-elements (at least on the new album) which recently released a very good album called Enclosed. But what about the remaining members and new members of Dark Moor, how did they do? Quite well actually, the typical symphonic Power Metal-style still remains.

I just have to say it; something is missing. Without the vocals of Elisa, it's just not the same. The fact that the new vocalist was male doesn't make it any better. Dark Moor is, compared to predecessor, far from as good. The male vocalist actually does a quite good job, even if he sounds like a woman (it seems that they also invited a female vocalist to guest on this album, it's almost impossible to tell these two vocalists apart. Good or bad? You decide.) most of the time. The instrumental-work is also a step down from the previous albums, but not by much, it's still great. The production is also pretty good, but the keyboards seems to drown in the sound of the other instruments far too often.

Dark Moor is an hour long and is divided in to 13 different songs. Overall, pretty much every song on this album is of decent quality. They're far from as epic and emotional as on their previous albums, but it still works alright. "A Life Of Revenge", "The Bane Of Daninsky, The Werewolf", "Philip The Second" and "From Hell" are all superb songs that I'd love to hear the original band play (not that "New" Dark Moor performs them any bad though) them on some kind of "reunion"-tour or just rerecord the songs with Dreamaker, which is probably impossible anyway.

Dark Moor is a good album, but it still is at the bottom of my Dark Moor-list (which says a lot about the quality of this band). If you want a Dark Moor-album with the current line-up, I'd choose their newest release called Beyond The Sea.

The Gates Of Oblivion - 9/10
    Beyond The Sea - 8/10

---

Obituary - Cause Of Death (1990) - http://www.obituary.cc/

The American Death metallers Obituary is out with a new album this year called Frozen In Time (which I will review later this week), but let's not discuss that album, let's go back to 1990. Cause Of Death was Obituary's second album and definitely their most praised album. Does it deserve all the praise?

Imagine getting slammed between a truck and a brick wall, and liking it. That is what Cause Of Death is. It's a brutal and hardhitting album that is guaranteed that make you band your head in the same rhythm as the music. John Tardy's vocals are excellent and so is the instrumental work, even the production is quite awesome. Every single song on this album is pretty damned good, but "Body Bag", "Chopped In Half" and "Turned Inside Out" are without a doubt the best songs. Also, the Celtic Frost-cover, "Circle Of The Tyrants", is great. They've redone it so well it fits in totally right with the rest of the songs on the album. Impressive.

Cause Of Death is a true Death Metal-classic and should be purchased by anyone who likes heavy Metal-music. I assure you that you won't regret it.

---

Stratovarius - Episode (1996) - http://www.stratovarius.com/

"Unoriginal". "Plain". "Filler". "Cheesy". These keywords are often repeated throughout most of the Stratovarius-reviews I've read, and even those I've written myself. Stratovarius has a habit of making only 2-3 good songs per album, while the other stuff on their albums just works as filler. This little thing called the "Stratovarius-syndrome" has haunted most of their albums, but not on Episode.

While Episode is unoriginal, plain and very cheesy, it hardly has any filler-songs, surprisingly enough. Episode is Timo Kotipelto's second appearance with Stratovarius (thank God Tolkki didn't do any vocals) and he does a great job like he usually does. I love his vocals. The rest of the band also does a top-notch job, Timo Tolkki spits out solos after solo without a flaw. The production is also solid, nothing to complain about there.

Episode starts off with a blast with "Father Time". Just as it's predecessor, it's also the best song on the album. A clock is ticking, then boom! Drumming and riffs take over. This is Power/Speed Metal as it's best, it's fast hell and fun as hell as well (I'm the man when it comes to rhymes, ain't I?! No?). The same goes for "Speed Of Light". A classic Stratovarius-song and without a single doubt one of their best songs. I'd like it even more if they'd mix the keyboards a bit louder into the song, but it doesn't really matter that much. If you're not much of a fan of Timo Kotipelto, don't worry, "Stratosphere" is what you need. An instrumental track driven by constant solos or "wanking" by Tolkki. Some find it annoying, I fucking love it.

While the album may seem perfect so far, it isn't. "Babylon" starts out good, but it ends up being the worst track on the album. How? It's far too long. It drags on and on and on, and it repeates the melodies a fuckload of time and the fact that the song is the second longest track on the album doesn't make it any better. Another low point is "Forever". It's the last track of the album and it's acoustic. Sure, it doesn't sound all too bad, but it doesn't really fit in with the rest of the album. "Night Time Eclipse" also drags the score of the album a bit down as it's far too long.

All in all, this is a pretty solid album that's worthy a purchase if you like Power/Speed Metal. It's without a doubt worth a listen.

Fright Night - 4/10

---

Dream Theater - Octavarium (2005) - http://www.dreamtheater.net/

The year is 2005, and Dream Theater is finally out with another full-length. This time, it's called Octavarium (which the name does in my opinion sound very "Dream Theater-ish"). However, even if the name is typical Dream Theater, Octavarium isn't typical Dream Theater musically. This album reminds me at points of both U2 and Muse, and I'm quite happy to say that that's not a bad thing at all!

While Octavarium may sound different from anything other Dream Theater has ever made, it still sounds like Dream Theater, so don't worry about that. LaBrie sounds as good as ever here, even if he's probably been under a lot of pressure with both his solo-project and this album being recorded pretty much at the same time. Everyone else does a pretty good job too, even if it's sometimes just wanking and show-off (listen to the title-track, and you'll know exactly what I mean). When it comes to production, there's a lot of things that could've been changed. Everything sounds a bit messy and the instruments seems to drown eachother at times.

When it comes to songs, Octavarium sure is a mixed bag. Nothing sounds the same, and that's great. Try comparing "The Root Of All Evil" to "I Walk Beside You", and you'll notice that they're totally different from eachother. Anyway, the album starts off with "The Roots Of All Evil", which to me sounds like a more straight-forward Train Of Thought-like track. I love it how this one builds itself up. Also, this song also has a quite "rock-like" lead going through the whole track, which also sound great. "The Answer Lies Within" is another quite good track, a ballad actually. It sound quite "pop-ish", but after a few listens, you'll get over it. "These Walls" is great as well, the electronic-elements put into the song actually works great as hell. LaBrie's vocal-works on this track sounds a lot like his contributions on Ayreon's The Human Equation, which is a pretty good thing. "I Walk Beside You" is a pretty strange track, especially it coming from Dream Theater. It sounds like U2 and Muse mixed together, just better. I always think of "With Or Without You" by U2 when I hear this track. This is probably the most radio-friendly track on the album, so I bet someone will bitch about it when they hear it, but anyway, I love this track. "Panic Attack" is probably my favourite track on the album, fast and furious is the only description I can manage to write. Also, the title track "Octavarium" is 23 minutes of fucking madness. It builds itself into a monster of a track, I figure fans will love that track.

Not everything on this album is great, it has a pair of weak tracks too. "Never Enough" sounds just too much like Muse (which is a band I like by the way) that it's sickening at times. "Sacrificed Sons" is also pretty boring, and if I'm not mistaken, far too patriotic. The lyrics is about the Iraq-war (so have I been told), and I can't say I'm fond of such. Yes, I'm looking your way, Jon Schaffer.

Love it or hate it, that's the only thing I can say. It's a grower, so you might want to spend a bit time with the album before you start judging it.

Metropolis Part II: Scenes From A Memory - 10/10
    Train Of Thought - 7/10

---

Obituary - Frozen In Time (2005) - http://www.obituary.cc/

After 7 years of abscence from music, Obituary is finally ready with new material. The album which was originally a self-titled album (which is quite popular nowadays, it seems) was renamed to Frozen In Time instead a little while ago. Catchy name, superb cover-artwork, but what about the music itself? Is it as heavy as Cause Of Death, or even more important, as good as it?

The answer is two letters. Can you guess it? Yes, you're right, it's "NO!". While the band still remains heavy, the quality of the music has dropped significantly over the years of existence. We'll never see another Slowly We Rot and Cause Of Death from Obituary, sad but true. Sure, the band can still play their instruments, but the vocalist is just annoying on Frozen In Time. A good thing about the album is that they haven't changed at all musically, and they keep the production as "old-school" as possible, which is good. I hate it when Death Metal-bands stray from their roots (like Entombed, for example, but they still managed to come up with something better than this album).

There are some good songs on this album, like "Insane" for example. A pretty good track considering almost everything else on the album is a snooze-fest. "Redneck Stomp" is one of the songs that should've been good because Tardy doesn't open his mouth during the whole track, but they still managed making it into a repetetive and boring song. "Denied" has some good riffs though, but Tardy is pretty goddamned annoying here too.

OK, it's not a bad album, it has some decent songs, even a good one, but it's just so repetetive and boring, considering even the length of the album is just 35 minutes. They get some stars for not straying from the roots and keeping themselves "true" to their fans. I'm very disappointed, but there probably are fans that will go nuts over this album, even if I'm not one of them.

Cause Of Death - 9/10

---

Stratovarius - Stratovarius (2005) - http://www.stratovarius.com/

The world's biggest dramaqueens (long story) are once again back with a self-titled album, Stratovarius. Will it be better than the Elements-albums? Will it be a change in style? More importantly, was it necessary to reunite for this?

I'm going to ask that question once again, but in another way. "They reunited for THIS?". Stratovarius lacks the few qualities present in their previous albums, it lacks the killers and it even lacks a killer opener which most of their albums has. "Maniac Dance" is the opener this time, and it sounds like complete utter shit, I tell you. The second song isn't exactly any good either, and the name is fucking stupid; "FIGHT!!!". You judge. Kotipelto sounds as usual pretty good,but he has problems on some songs I can hear. The others does a pretty much acceptable job too, but the incredibly bad production makes them sound retarded. I doubt this is the final-mix though, if it is, the score will be changed.

"Just Carry On" sounds pretty much like anything Stratovarius has made in the past, just even more boring and it's haunted by the crappy production. "G�tterd�mmerung (Zenith of Power)" is so goddamned fucking cheesy, with the Hitler-speech and all in it, I can't bear it. "The Land Of Ice And Snow" is a pretty cute ballad, and possibly the best song on the album. You know an album suck when the best song on it is a fucking ballad (unless the album only conists of ballads...). Kotipelto even sings a line in finnish here. "United" is also a pretty good track, but it sounds like Manowar. Anything that sounds like Manowar that isn't Manowar, sucks. Well, most of the time, but this time it sounds pretty decent.

The rest of the album? Crap. Whenever the retail is out, I'll give it a listen, and if the production is the same, I'll fucking degrade the score to 1 and a half star. If not, I'll try re-reviewing it. Just remind me.

Rating: 4/10

Fright Night - 4/10
    Episode - 7/10
    Last edited by Howie; 12th-June-2005 at 17:14.

Thanks

Mot�rhead - March Or Die (1992) - http://www.imotorhead.com/

Like AC/DC, Mot�rhead is one of those famous Hard Rock/Heavy Metal-bands who's doing the same shit today as they did years ago. March Or Die sounds exactly like their previous (and later) albums, except from one small change; this album is more commercial and radio-friendly than anything else they've made.

As I said, this still sounds just like Mot�rhead, but they've changed slightly musically on this album. It seems that Lemmy and company tried to get some more airplay than they already had, so they invited a few guests (which are of course more famous than themselves, at least at the time March Or Die was released) like for example Slash of Guns 'n Roses and Ozzy Osbourne. Also, it seems like they tried getting more fans by covering "Cat Scratch Fever" by Ted Nugent and "Hellraiser" by Ozzy Osbourne (which was a song written by Lemmy for Ozzy). Anyway, Lemmy sounds gruff like usual on this album, just the way I and probably many other fans of the 'heads like him. The instrumental-work sounds good too, but I'd prefer it to be faster and heavier like they usually where (this is one of the signs that Mot�rhead wanted commcercial recognition). The production is actually quite impressive to be a Mot�rhead-album, nothing bad there.

The album starts off with "Stand", which is a very good song and it's surprisingly enough a very melodic song to be Mot�rhead. I'd like it to be a little more heavier, but it works good anyway. "Catch Scratch Fever" is the second song, and yes, this is a Ted Nugent-cover. I'm not very familiar with Nugent, but I like this song and I think it fits right into the album. "Hellraiser" is another cover-song, but an excellent one too. It was originally recorded by Ozzy, but written by Lemmy. This might be why this song fits Mot�rhead so incredibly well, I fucking love both tracks, but Mot�rhead's version is miles ahead of Ozzy's.

One of the bad songs of the album is "I Ain't No Nice Guy". It's a ballad where both Ozzy and Lemmy sings. Tell me, how the fuck could that ever sound good? I mean, Lemmy + Ballad = Crap. Trust me. The same goes for Ozzy, even if he has done some quite tolerable ballads, but mix those together and you'll get a total mess. Some might like it though, but I don't. "Too Good To Be True" has the potential to be a good song, but doesn't deliver it's goods. It reminds me a lot of a band I can't remember the name of right now... oh well. The rest of the stuff on the album is quite listenable.

A few killers, a pair of stinkers and some decent fillers. March Or Die should only be picked up by fans of Mot�rhead and Ozzy, all of you others can try finding a vinyl of the "Hellraiser"-single.

Orgasmatron - 8/10
    Snake Bite Love - 7/10
    Hammered - 7/10
    Iron Fist - 8/10

Thanks

Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism

I tell you now, this band has completely raped my audioscrobbler in no time. The only other band to do this much damage to my listening habits was mew and we all know how that story played out.

Death Cab for Cutie is a unique Indie band whose emotional yet uplifting songs are always a pleasure to listen to. Songs like "Title and Registration" and "Tiny Vessels" display a sort of audio design many bands can't even come close to. Other songs like "Transatlanticism" and "Death of an Interior Decorator" are simply beautiful symphonies composed of pure emotion. Although I have the entire discography, this release sticks to me the most for the talent contained within. I trust you'll agree if you hear anything from them.

*Oh: I hate you Howie, you and your long ass posts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brit
    *Oh: I hate you Howie, you and your long ass posts.
    I love you too honey.

Anyway, I won't write shit until next friday. I have to concentrate about studying for my oral math exams (5 out of 75 persons was going to have it. I was one. I hate my school. What's the exams any use for when only 5 people is going to have them?!). Oh well, see you guys in this thread next friday.

edit: Y helo thar, backz I am.

---

Skyclad - Prince Of The Poverty Line (1994) - http://www.skyclad.co.uk/html/news.html

Skyclad is Folk Metal's version of Mot�rhead. They never change musically, they both have a non-replaceable vocalist (please note; Skyclad actually did change vocalist on their newest album, A Semblance Of Normality, which was surprisingly good, even without Martin Walkyier) with a gruff and special way of singing. Prince Of The Poverty Line is no exception.

Prince Of The Poverty Line is as all of the other albums Skyclad has made, a mix of Folk Metal and Heavy Metal (in the vein of Judas Priest). It sounds pretty much awesome mixed together, and with Walkyier vocals, it sounds even better. His vocal style is great and fits the music superb. The instrumental work is also damned good, the violin, flutes and keyboards thrown in are essential ingredients for a Skyclad-album. The production is also fine, but it seems a bit muddy at times, but you'll get over it. The lyrics is a must when it comes to Skyclad, and this time, they seems a bit more boring, but it works alright.

When it comes to the quality of the songs, Prince Of The Poverty Line is a bit different than Skyclad's other albums. There is nothing bad and there's nothing that sticks out more than any other song. So, all there is left to say then is that this is a quite decent album. No bad song, no really good song either, all decent material you can say. I'd pick up some other Skyclad-albums instead, like Folkemon, for example.

A Burnt Offering For The Bone Idol - 8/10
    Oui Avant-Garde A Chance - 7/10
    The Answer Machine? - 6/10
    Folkemon - 8/10
    A Semblance Of Normality - 8/10

---

Kotipelto - Waiting For The Dawn (2002) - http://www.kotipelto.com/

Stratovarius' current vocalist Timo Kotipelto's solo-project may be new to most of you, even Stratovarius-fans. He has already managed to release 2 albums, but are they any good?

Well, I can't say it's like something ripped out of Mr. Dickinson of Iron Maiden's solo-career, both in quality, songwriting and style. But hey, this is still pretty damned good, unlike later Stratovarius has proved to be. Waiting For The Dawn has an egyptian-theme to it's lyrics, but if you'd like to hear some egyptian-themed songs rather than lyrics, please go check out Nile or Behemoth's Demigod instead (well, there's a solo here and there that has some egyptian influences here and there, but that's not really enough...). The album sounds pretty much like the later work Kotipelto has done with Stratovarius, just a lot better and a bit slower (can't complain, really). He kept the cheesines though, but who cares, cheese tastes great (at least in my opinion). Kotipelto's vocals sounds excellent as well does the musicians accompanying him. The production is also overall pretty decent.

The album consists of a total of 12 songs, and so far, I'm unable to find anything under decent, nor above excellent, but there are a few standouts here anyway. "Travel Through Time" is a great track that I bet most fans of Kotipelto or Stratovarius will enjoy. "Battle Of The Gods" is a powerful track that you must not miss and the 7 minutes long "Chosen By Re" is probably the best track Kotipelto has ever done, even when compared to his work with Stratovarius.

Dissapointed in Stratovarius latest outputs? Don't worry, take a look at this album, or perhaps even it's follow-up called Coldness. Waiting For The Dawn is not by any means spectacular, and I doubt that even a fan of Stratovarius will think so, but it has some great material that will probably please a fan.

---

Wormed - Planisphaerium (2003) - http://www.wormed.net/

Spanish brutal Death Metal-band Wormed is something you Death Metal-fans should lay your eyes on. Are you like me, tired of Death Metal-bands with gore and satanism ONLY in their lyrics, and want a new band with completely different lyrical themes? Then look no further, Wormed is the band you need.

Wormed's Planisphaerium doesn't really sound different from other Death Metal-albums musically, but lyrically, it's quite different. Some non-understandable lyrics about... space? Whatever the fuck it is, it's at least more refreshing than hearing about how a cannibal inserts a knife down a virgin throat. The musicians are all talented, the drummer is insane. One of the things that bothers me about the album is the fucking vocalist. He sounds like the vocalist from two of my "favorite"-bands, Cock & Ball Torture and Regurgitate, which both bands has awfully "vomit-like" vocals. Even so, the vocals seems to fit this album awfully well, contrary to the two other bands vocalists. The production of the album is also very good.

The album is best listened to in one sitting. If you start plucking the album apart by listening to only a few songs, you'll pretty much ruin it by doing that. One of the problems with the songs in Planisphaerium, is that they are too few and too short. The "album" is about 25 minutes long, which technically makes it an EP of some sort, but whatever. Fans of Brutal Death Metal will surely find something of their interest in this album, highly recommended.

---

Blind Stare - Symphony Of Delusions (2005) - http://www.blindstare.net/

"Melodic Death Metal with Viking/Folk Elements". How can that NOT be good? That description made me wet my pants of joy, but they got wet for nothing. Symphony Of Delusions is a major disapointment in my humble opinion, a BIG disapointment.

This is just boring Melodic Death Metal, nothing more. Generic melodies and irritating vocals. The musicians sure can play their instruments, but it seems that none of them can write music (and another hand; choose fitting artwork for their own album). They make some half-assed attempts at sounding like Warman and Amon Amarth at the same time, and fails significantly at it. The synth throughout the album sounds actually quite nice, and jacks up the score quite a bit. The production is not crappy, but not entirely good either.

The album doesn't really have any standout-tracks to be mentioned, really. "An Insane's Diary Part II" is pretty much the closest you'll come to good on this album, but the vocals drags this song down a lot. Distorted vocals is not my thing. Save your money by not buying this and get some good melodic Death Metal-albums instead, like Dark Tranquillity's Character for example.

Rating: 3/10
    Last edited by Howie; 18th-June-2005 at 17:33.

Thanks

Foo Fighters - In Your Honor [2005] - www.foofighters.com

Dave Grohl is possibly my personal God, he's fueled me into pushing my drumming on several occasions (Nirvana, early Foo's, QOTSA), and the fact he's managed to carve a fantastic career outside of being a drummer is quite a rarity. Their last album, One By One, was a bit of a disapointment to me personally, which I'll explain when I review it here later. When I heard this album was going to be a double-album, half of me became moist, the other half worried they might screw it up. Now I've listened to it non-stop for a few days, here's my review.

First up is CD 1, the rock CD. Here's where I was worried, that the songs may just be bland poppy-rock. Instead I was greeted with a CD of songs which are all easily Monkey Wrench status. The best tracks being In Your Honor, No Way Back and The Deepest Blues are Black. The drumming kicks ass thanks to Taylor Hawkins, the riffs are catchy as hell and Dave sounds like he's about to break his vocal chords on every song.

CD 2 is then the acoustic set. Very laid back compared to the first disc, it thankfully isn't what I thought it might be, where as it's acoustic all the songs are solemn. Friend of a Friend is a personal favorite, it first appeared on a demo Dave did in 1992. Virginia Moon is done with Norah Jones, never heard her stuff, but this is probably my fave track on this disc. Razor too is a killer closer.

Eh, I'm not too good with this reviewing stuff I will say though that this album may be their greatest, equalling their previous best work on The Colour and the Shape. The decision to split the sets is a wise choice, and the songs never decline into a feeling of pure-pop. Now thanks to Dave I want to learn guitar and sing too. This album rocks.

9/10.
    Last edited by Hangman; 18th-June-2005 at 21:00.
    Increase the size of your wang - PM crusher the words "poo poo" for extra length now!

Beware Coward!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ton
    Yeah that'sit , you're just so sexy , woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo