Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dreamcast

Thanks

I think if they could have Sega should have stayed back in that time period and wait for the right opportunity and released an even greater machine to rival the GC, PS2 and Xbox. If they had done that they migh have had a better chance of survival.

On the seventh dawn of the seventh day a twice-blessed man will roam the fields. Doomed to shadows with his brethren, or saviour to all who walk the ground.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psychofox
    I think if they could have Sega should have stayed back in that time period and wait for the right opportunity and released an even greater machine to rival the GC, PS2 and Xbox. If they had done that they migh have had a better chance of survival.
    Nah, you have to learn from history. I mean, sure its consoles were great and everything, but the Megadrive, the Saturn, and the DC never really took off like the Sony consoles. What would guarantee that a new one would?

Thanks
    EP Points

Well that's one way of viewing it, but look at all the support Sega have gained over the last few years. We've finally begun to appreciate the Dreamcast and Saturn and I reckon a new console would thive on that. The Megadrive was also a really popular console back in the day, maybe not as much in America but it was definetely successful here in Europe. In fact I even remember it outlasted the SNES by a couple of years.

The Saturn was terribly overpriced. It cost about �400 when it was released over here, whereas the PSX had a price tag of around �300. Then of course the Saturn was a nightmare to code for. I still say the Saturn was a great console but Sega's timing was poor. A few years later, the Dreamcast was released as Sega's comeback console. Sadly, it suffered a similar fate because in the meantime, Sony had garnered a massive fanbase who were waiting with baited breath for the PS2 and its DVD capabilities. They disregarded the Dreamcast as just another plain-vanilla console and left it to rot.

Even so, I see no reason why a new console wouldn't put Sega back on the map. We've at long last realised how great their last two consoles were and a new one could be just as good. The fact is we need Sega nowadays, more so than ever. Sony and Microsoft need a swift kick up the arse and I know Sega would be the ones to deliver it.

Thanks

What if the Dreamcast had provided the DVD playability BEFORE the PS2, perhaps it would have majorily damaged Sony's PS2 release enough for the Dreamcast to survive a few years more and produce another console before this new lot of next gen arrive.

On the seventh dawn of the seventh day a twice-blessed man will roam the fields. Doomed to shadows with his brethren, or saviour to all who walk the ground.

Thanks

Well to be perfectly honest i'm slightly annoyed at the american companies because if a game doesn't sell well over there it never comes to europe. that's just wrong. and i apologise in advance tothe Xbox fans but i just do not like the X-box at all because, in my opinion, it's just another way Bill thought of to get another billion in his pocket. Plus he just siphoned the idea from the PS2.
    Last edited by Darkened Samurai; 5th-September-2005 at 05:04.
    Darkened Samurai
    The bunny is from Pkt-Zer0 and GareJei
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < )
    This is Bunny.
    Copy Bunny into your signature to help
    him on his way to world domination.

Thanks

I am never buying another sega console ever again. They don't bother to support their consoles, and all those great RPGS were lost to the saturn. The langrisser series III, IV,V ,Dragon Force 2, Shining Force scenario 2 and 3 never translated to english, Magic Knight Rayearth, Alberty Odyseey, Guardian Heroes, Shining Wisdom and the list goes on and on. If the saturn were never released they would have probably come out on the psx in english =(.
    Uploading Next: Vanguard Bandits

MY TRADELIST http://forums.emuparadise.org/showth...308#post674308

Thanks

The only reason they wern't translated into english is because the rich, selfish american companies think that those games are too good for us
    Darkened Samurai
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < )
    This is Bunny.

Thanks

I thought all the sega systems were all unsung heroes - every one of them brought something awesome that I think were done the best on the sega systems, such as the genesis, with Sonic 1,2,3 and K, Ristar, Toejam and Earl, the Jurassic Parks.. Saturn with Casper and Clockwork night (I'm sure some other great stuff, I haven't touched much base with saturn) and for the DC, Sonic Adventures(Both) and SoA; dont forget the VMU, that was a neat feature. I also believe that the Sega GG was the first handheld to support backlighting - and it spawned some neato games.
    Francine?
    Yes Robert?
    Where are we?
    I don't know. Are you pumped?
    Are you kidding? I'm always pumped.

Thanks

I'll agree with YoshiRiRu about the sonic adventure games on the dreamcast. i only had a glimse of the first game and i'm searching the country for a dreamcast just to play those games and if poss. Skies of arcadia as i know someone who has those games. He also brought the first dreamcast console to be released in the UK
    Darkened Samurai
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < )
    This is Bunny.

Mikey_ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Darkened Samura
    Well to be perfectly honest i'm slightly annoyed at the american companies because if a game doesn't sell well over there it never comes to europe. that's just wrong. and i apologise in advance tothe Xbox fans but i just do not like the X-box at all because, in my opinion, it's just another way Bill thought of to get another billion in his pocket. Plus he just siphoned the idea from the PS2.
    just another way for bill to make money? i don't know about that. not that i'm coming to the xbox's defense, but the xbox did fairly well later on in its life because of games like unreal, halo, and others. its already a good system on its own and will just get better in time with the 360. and i wouldn't make any comparisons between the xbox and the ps2 if i were you. both systems are strong in their own rights with their own pros and cons. one major pro that the xbox came through with that the ps2 isn't very good with is the online aspect of its games.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychofox
    What if the Dreamcast had provided the DVD playability BEFORE the PS2, perhaps it would have majorily damaged Sony's PS2 release enough for the Dreamcast to survive a few years more and produce another console before this new lot of next gen arrive.
    if the DC had DVD based games, i think it would definitely have given the ps2, xbox and GC a run for its money. though i doubt it would have kept a spot on top of the list for long. the DC w/DVD based games prolly would have kept pace with the ps2 for a lil bit. i believe the xbox would have done a better job with its online features than the DC did or could have. and the GC...sega's never been ahead of nintendo. ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon
    the Megadrive, the Saturn, and the DC never really took off like the Sony consoles.
    the megadrive? is that a different name for the sega master system? if so, sega i think did ok with it. that was the 1st system i ever had and all i played till the NES came along. i can't say much about the saturn cuz i've only ever played 2 saturn games: some shining force game which i didn't enjoy much, and x-men vs street fighter which was flawless, but yeah it was totally out done by the psx. the DC did take off and was a good system but it wasn't meant to compete with the PSX, it was meant to go against new systems like the PS2 and the DC was in no way prepared for that. yet the DC has lots of fans.
    Last edited by Mikey_; 7th-September-2005 at 17:00.

Thanks

That's why Sega first crawled on hands and knees to Nintendo after their defeat to Sony.

Mikey_ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Darkened Samura
    You insult saga? Filth? The only filth is nintendo gamecube.
    lol you're such a fanboy. the GC was and still is a great system. all of nintendo's systems are. do you even own a gamecube to say such a thing about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xena
    I'm suprised Nintendo has lasted, with the flop of thier DS.
    the DS is still pumping out new games. not sure why you think its a flop even though you say it is in the country you live in. the DS is an actual portable gaming system. excuse it for not being a portable multi-media machine like the PSP.
    Last edited by Mikey_; 7th-September-2005 at 17:05.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by \/3n0(V)
    lol you're such a fanboy. the GC was and still is a great system. all of nintendo's systems are. do you even own a gamecube to say such a thing about it?
    I'm surprised he said it coz he actually wants to get a GC atm, why'd you say that DS?

the DS is still pumping out new games. not sure why you think its a flop even though you say it is in the country you live in. the DS is an actual portable gaming system. excuse it for not being a portable multi-media machine like the PSP.
    it kinda is in our country coz all there is that are actually is Bomberman DS, Super Mario 64 DS, and maybe Rayman DS. But next month Nintendogs comes out so hopefully it'll all change. But apparently in other countries the PSP is a big flop, so I think Sony are heavily relying on the European market to stay in the game.

Thanks

The megadrive? is that a different name for the sega master system?
    It's the original japanese/european name for what we knew as the SEGA Genesis o'er here...

And I wouldn't call the PSP a flop just yet... It's selling quite well, last I heard, despite the fact that there's not an awful lot of quality original games for the system... That might change soon...
    Last edited by Roux!; 7th-September-2005 at 17:54.

Mikey_ Guest

lol i didn't call it a flop. if it sounded as if i did i didn't mean it. i just recognize it for what it is good for at the moment: multimedia.