Thread: pc vs ps2 emulation.

Thanks

Red face pc vs ps2 emulation.

ok, i've been hearing "seeing" all the talks about how the pc is not powerful enough to emulate a full working ps2, that may have been true like 6 months ago or when pete wrote his "essay" on why the computer can't emulate the ps2, but today that is just a bunch of crap. I have two words "DOOM III" there is no way in hell that my ps2 console will ever have that game ported because it is not that powerful of a machine to handle the textures, polys, aa, etc.. of the game or any other console to tell you the truth. O and the poly count and the AA on the ps2 really sux i was dis-appointed when I i bought my ps2 3 weeks ago, my tribes 2 game, hell!!! my rogue spear game looks a-hell of alot better then all the ps2 games i've bought or rented and played. And for those still using pete's essay as to why there is no possible way of emulating the ps2 on the computer well, today we have the all mighty geforce ti4600 with 128ddr ram which at that time pete suggested it would take something like todays geforce card with today's high-end custom build computers, (("no pre-maid computers like dell's and gateways are not powerful and they all suck if you really want to compare power.")) to emulate the ps2.

Zerostrike Guest

Um, the PS2 is a very complacated system. That's one of the reasons why we don't have a good PS2 emu. Another is the PS2 has alot of custom and modifed parts. Emu writers need to learn about these parts and then figure out a way to emulate them. There's little documents about most of these parts, aparently. If I'm right, you've read PSCX2's boards. As far as I can tell, alot of expirensed programers post there. If they say that the PS2 can't be emulated right now, it can't. You can't use common sense when dealing with computers and writing emulators and stuff like that most of the time. Besides, DOOM 3 ain't coming out until 2003 or 2004.

JadeSaber Guest

Just a side note...
    if you are a Doom addict and still have the original game (or you can get it on Kazaa sometimes) you should look up jDoom on Google. It's basically an upgrade that runs it with a newer "Doomsday" engine that renders things with 3D models and really awesome lighting effects. If you download all the monster models it's almost like a totally new game!
    And you can run Doom2, Heretic and even Hexen with it!
    You gotta see it!

Sorry..just had to throw my 2 cents in.

Thanks

Exclamation reply

ps2 being a complicated system; yes, I'll give you that. Custom modifed "parts" no just the way the software runs a straight pipeline is strange or weired because of basically no real cacheing. As far as you thinking most of these people posting on ps2 boards talking tech stuff are programmers... "laugh" I say only about 3% are real programmers. What i'm really tring to say is that the computers today have more then enough power to run the ps2 games and emulate the console, its just like you said though that the documentation isn't there to help the programmers, the reason we don't have a ps2 emulator is not because of lack of power it's because of lack of info on how the software run's through the ps2's hardware and how the hardware truly functions. And yes, DOOM III will not be comming out till later in a couple of months but, at e3 there was an actual playable demo of the game that was running under the new not out yet ati gpu which beats the crap out of the ti4600 as we where told by id. When an actual working ps2 emu comes out running a commercial game, Don't be supprised that the only power people will need to run a ps2 emu will be a late P3 with the latest ati or geforce card.

Jadesaber: I tried a couple of months ago to play doom 1 but i just got frustrated with the way the character moves, I remember playing Doom 1 and enjoying it back on my 486 and I remembered it being a fun game but after playing today's shooters it just didn't tickle my fancy any more. only old shooter game I sill like to play is castle wolfenstien I loved it on my old 286 and i still love it. It was actually castle wolfenstien that got me in to computers.

Zerostrike Guest

my rogue spear game looks a-hell of alot better then all the ps2 games i've bought or rented and played
    Play The Bouncer. It's one of the best looking games, period. And it came out in Jan. 2001. It looks better on a TV screen than a screenshot. Oh, you know that the memory of the PS2 is supposed to run at 800mhz. I think you'd need RDRAM to play a real game with that memory speed. And RDRAM is too costly too make it worthwhile. Alot of computer motherboards right now can't even run RDRAM if I remember correctly. Most of the new ones run DDR I think. And the RDRAM requirement would screw over AMD CPU users.

JadeSaber Guest

Default Re: reply

Originally posted by grantu2

Jadesaber: I tried a couple of months ago to play doom 1 but i just got frustrated with the way the character moves, I remember playing Doom 1 and enjoying it back on my 486 and I remembered it being a fun game but after playing today's shooters it just didn't tickle my fancy any more. only old shooter game I sill like to play is castle wolfenstien I loved it on my old 286 and i still love it. It was actually castle wolfenstien that got me in to computers.
    What makes jDoom really special is that it completely rewrote the control scheme so now you can play with mouse and keyboard like about any other FPS. Plus the graphic overhaul is something really neat to see. I don't mean just high res, I mean total 3D rendering. Here's the link to the homepage so you can see for yourself:http://www.doomsdayhq.com/
    The music is even redone!--
    All you need is the original Doom.wad or any of the .wad files from Heretic, Hexen or the Doom series.
    Bottom line...if you liked Doom, check it out.