Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mit students prank

Thanks

Default Mit students prank

Hey all

Some MIT Computer Science students created a program that can create a randomly generated Computer Science research paper. They submitted two papers to a conference and one of them was accepted. I've read the paper and it's complete gibberish.

You can find an article on it at cnn.com : http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science...eut/index.html

and they have the program e online in a webpage at

http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/scigen/

Wonder what they're gonna dpo to the guy who accepted the paper ...

Comments anyone?
    I am da geekness

Open Source rules

Thanks
    EP Points

If some randomly generated gibberish got through, then maybe its a program that marks the papers rather than a human?

I just rea it and it was in fact neither. Humans seemingly normally review the papers, but this one got accepted without even being checked.
    Quote Originally Posted by article
    Nagib Callaos, a conference organizer, said the paper was one of a small number accepted on a "non-reviewed" basis -- meaning that reviewers had not yet given their feedback by the acceptance deadline.

(\__/)_/)
    (O.o ).^)
    (> < ) <)

Now we know how viral bunny signatures really spread.

Thanks

Have you seen me before?

Thanks

That link just says document doens't exist. And asks you to do another search.
    Check out the best site in the whole world. hehe Sephires' Site
    Games I Own Last updated October 30, 2005

I've been posting before you where an ache in you fathers crotch and you have the balls to call me a spammer.

Thanks

Heh, it has expired. It seems it doesn't stay there for long. You go on and do your own scientific document and it would look very similar to the I tried to post.
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks
    EP Points

Here is the Abstract from my Random paper.

Abstract
    Flexible communication and simulated annealing have garnered improbable interest from both cyberinformaticians and electrical engineers in the last several years. Given the current status of efficient modalities, mathematicians shockingly desire the exploration of Lamport clocks, which embodies the natural principles of artificial intelligence. Our intent here is to set the record straight. We introduce a novel solution for the evaluation of the Ethernet (Quesal), which we use to argue that Moore's Law and voice-over-IP are entirely incompatible.

Thanks

This, my friends, is a work of art... some of this stuff, even though mind-boggliingly tough to understand, actually makes the average person a believer. I mean maybe a top notch scientist could see through this veil of plagiarism (would it be such?) and realize this is a complete fake. Maybe I could actually use this someday...

BTW... Here's mine:

Linkinkampf19's Cumulative Report

And another one:

Linkinkampf19's Yearly Review

EDIT: I just realized, going thorugh the second paper, that I cited one of my own sources!

" Linkinkampf19, and Wu, J. On the evaluation of 8 bit architectures. In Proceedings of OOPSLA (July 2005)."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by linkinkampf19
    EDIT: I just realized, going thorugh the second paper, that I cited one of my own sources!

" Linkinkampf19, and Wu, J. On the evaluation of 8 bit architectures. In Proceedings of OOPSLA (July 2005)."
    OMG! You are right. It seems like the engine uses already generated reports to make new reports too. Clever engineering on the algorithm...
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks

I don't think so GOD. I think it just decides to use the name in random places, depending upon if they make sense, sorta, I guess. I double checked teh first paper anyways. There's no J. Wu. And in the final speech I just generated, my name was in there too. Crazy.

Thanks

Heh, you refer to your previous work you haven't even done? Insane
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks

I bet you it's easier to look a quality paper up yourself. Well actually, I'm sure you'd lose if you bet against that. It's pretty common knowledge in the school where I go. This is why I have no respect for even higher education, it boils down to being nothing but paper with stuff on it. Though there are some rays of hope because employers tend to not give a crap about those without experience. Then by the nature of circumstance that hope goes away when you realize it ends up being about how much money your parents have, for the majority of people. You can put any corporate goofball's goofy son in his father's shoes and he's good to go. Proving yourself? Pshaw, I bought the papers that said I already did.

Thanks

Most universities have strict guidelines for the papers taht are submitted, I'm doing Computer Science Honours at the University of the Witwatersrand in South Africa and the review process is extremely strict. I reckon the reason that the paper got through was that that conference was only created to make money by people who probably don't know that much about computer science.
    I am da geekness

Open Source rules

Uncle Evil Guest

Heres mine. I didnt feel like reading it. but i certainly wrote it
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Nice algorithm, it seems. The setences are readable, so I suppose they should get their asses moving and create an automated language translator instead...?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Castlevania
    Nice algorithm, it seems. The setences are readable, so I suppose they should get their asses moving and create an automated language translator instead...?
    There is one, s' called google translator, it's in the tools section on their website. There have been automated translators for a while just the sentence structure is not always that great. I don't know any off hand but you'll probably find that the good ones you have to pay for.
    I am da geekness

Open Source rules