Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DC Emulation (Chankast)

Thanks

Default DC Emulation (Chankast)

Sorry i'm new to this, but i'm having trouble loading games on ChankastAlpha 0.2

The emulator works fine but when i select play it tells me to insert a CD. I have a .cdi file in another folder. How do I load that file onto my emulator? Do I just drag it onto my chankast.exe program? Sorry if this sounds stupid.

Thanks

First of all, get the latest version.

Second, you need to mount the image, download daemon tools from here:
    http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/download.php

Read the chankast help files too!

Thanks
    EP Points

An older version of Dtools is highly recommended - ie 3.27. Newer version will cause issues in some games.

Thanks

3.29 is the newest version of Dtools which works perfectly with chankast, you can download it in the D-tools site (Look at my first post)

Thanks

Ok I have everything set now and I have mounted the image.

But now when I select Play from the DC emulator it simply just resets and brings me back. Do I have to load the game from there or anything? I've already configured the drive.

Thanks

you need a new dc bios, search these fourms or go to the main page and download a knew bios, go here to get a new bios: forums.emuparadise.org/showthread.php?t=28253&highlight=chankast+bios or www.emuparadise.org/biosfiles/bios.html
    "what purpose is it if a man gains the whole world but forfits his soul"

Thanks

Well, I have a dc_bios.bin file and I think it's working just fine. I just don't know how to load the game from my virtual drive.

Thanks

Have you enabled every emulation options with Dtools? And you may try to use Chankast alpha 0.25, it could be better.
    Feel free to correct any grammatical,lexical or spelling mistake in the text above :
    I am currently learning English

Thanks

He's about all you would need to know about emulating Dreamcast. Sorry, but I HAD to post this again, it's a very strainful process.

Here's a guide on how to emulate Dreamcast. There's also some stuff on how to make a self-boot so you can play on your console.

Ok, it took me a while to get everything right when emulating Dreamcast. First off, you need the Dreamcast emulator. Although there are many emulators out there, one is placed high above all the others. It's called Chankast, and you can get it here:

http://chanka.emulatronia.com/FrameSetDC_Down.htm

Now, once you've configured it all (controls and whatnot), you need to be able to play the games for Dreamcast. These games are called 'ISOs' in the emulation world. They could also be known as 'ROMs'. While you can find them most anywhere, I suggest finding them here, emuparadise is FULL of DC ISOs. As you download, please be aware that these games are not meant to be small. They often range from 200MB-1024MB(1GB), so if you're on dial-up, I hope you are a very patient person. Anywho, after downloading these ISOs, you need to change the format of the file so that when run in Chankast (the emulator), the game will boot, or start up, on its own. In order to do this, you must have two programs: 'DAEMON Tools' & 'DiscJuggler'. I can't help you find 'DiscJuggler' one for legal reasons, so I suggest looking in torrent sites or peer-to-peer networks (p2p). I can, however, tell you that DAEMON Tools can be found here:

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/download.php

Now, the reason we use DAEMON Tools is because we need to be able to put the game's image onto a CD drive, so that we can eventually convert it. The problem is, WE DON'T HAVE A CD DRIVE TO PUT THE IMAGE ON. This is where DAEMON Tools comes in. It is used to create one or more 'Virtual disk drives'. This meaning that we can mount, or put, an image of a CD onto a drive that doesn't exist physically. AWESOME! ! So now, we need to set up DAEMON Tools so that it will work properly. So, run DAEMON Tools and go down to the 'Quick Launch' menu in Windows (bottom-right hand corner). The icon is either a red or blue lightening bolt, depending on which version you've got. Right-click the icon hover over 'Virtual CD/DVD-ROM' and select 'Set number of devices...'. This basically makes however many virtual drives you please. Example: If you want to mount 2 images, select 2 drives or greater. If you only want one, select 1 drive. I use 3 so I don't have to keep unmounting and switching the image. After this, you'll be prompted to restart your computer. Do that and, don't worry, I'll be here when you get back. I'll mark your place with a smiley so you remember where you left off reading.

Back? Alrighty. Now here comes the tricky part. Our goal is to get the converted image mounted so that we can play it in Chankast. Now, unRAR or unzip the folder the ISO came in. There should be one file if you are using my ISOs, but if you find multiple files, choose the one with the largest size or one with a .ccd extension. When I say 'choose', I mean LEFT-CLICK the DAEMON Tools icon in the Quick Launch menu and select one of the virtual drives that you set. A menu will pop up asking which image you want to mount to the drive you selected. The good thing about this menu is that it only shows the compatible file types that you are allowed to mount, so choose the file that you unRARed or unzipped. You may have to experiment with this for a while if you aren't sure which file to choose. Hooray! You're 50% done!

Now we have to convert the mounted image to the right format to run in Chankast. This file type has the extension of '.cdi'. If you haven't downloaded 'DiscJuggler' already, do it now. After you download and run that mofo, you will be prompted with 2 choices. One choice is to convert the image (game) and then burn it to a disc, thus saving space on your hard drive; the other is simply converting the image and keeping it on your computer. I suggest keeping it on your computer, unless you have a Dreamcast and want to play your burnt games on the actual system. So, run 'DiscJuggler' and click FILE > NEW. A window will pop up with a few options.

1. If you want to put the game on a disc, click on 'CD Image to CD Recorder'. Choose the drive that you use for CD burning and then set where you want to save the '.cdi' image. After you've burned the image to the CD, insert it into one of your PHYSICAL disk drives. Left-click the DAEMON Tools icon and select the drive the CD is in and start up Chankast. In Chankast, go to OPTIONS > CONFIGURE DRIVE and select the drive the CD is in. Now all you have to do is select RUN > START and you've got a Dreamcast, BABY! Once again, I don't suggest this method, but if you want to go along with it and do the extra work, I'm fine with it.

2. Your second choice is to convert the original image of the game to the proper file type for Dreamcast self-boot. So, go to FILE > NEW and select 'CD Player to CD Image. This simply means that the mounted image in DAEMON Tools will be converted to a different file type so that it will run correctly in Chankast. After selecting that choice, look for the section in the program titled 'Source'. You will see a pull-down menu box that tells you which disk drive the image is on. Choose the drive you mounted the original image on. These drives have a certain letter assigned to them, so it should be easy to tell. Now set the path of where you want to save the newly converted '.cdi' image. Once these settings are correctly set, click the 'START' button. Wait a while for it to finish, then left-click the DAEMON Tools icon and select any drive (preferably the one you used for the original image). Choose the NEW IMAGE ( the '.cdi' one) and start up Chankast. In Chankast, go to OPTIONS > CONFIGURE DRIVE and select the drive the image is mounted to. Now all you have to do is select RUN > START and you've got a full-fledged Dreamcast, BABY!

Thanks

Thanks a lot!

Now I just have a few questions. The game I downloaded is already a .cdi file, so do I still need a DiscJuggler and go through those last few steps of converting the image? Well I tried running this .cdi file on Chankast right away, but for some reason when I start up Chankast and select play, the emulator just resets? What problem could this indicate?

Thanks

Yeah, try going through the steps again, just to be on the safe side. See if it works. If not, upload the .cdi to YouSendIt and let me take a look at the iso.

Thanks

Yeah, i've followed those steps, but the emulator just keeps acting the same way for some reason. It just keeps resetting.

Well, I sent the .cdi file to you, but i don't really think there's anything wrong with it.

Thanks
    EP Points

What game you trying to play? And are you using 2k or XP?

Thanks

I'm trying to play KoF 2000, and i'm using XP.

Thanks

I've tried different versions of Chankast, but I just get the same result. I'm pretty sure everything is working fine, but I just don't understand why the reset occurs, its really annoying me! =(