Thread: Issues with low FPS/lag in a game?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Issues with low FPS/lag in a game?

I know for a fact that this works in Battlefield 2, and it should work in a bunch of other high-end games as well (I believe brothers in arms is one of them)

It's very simple really. All you have to do is go to your EAGames/Battlefield 2 folder. Find the .exe file labeled "BF2". Rename this file to "BF2*whatever else you want*" where the stuff after BF2 is custom. You could even just put a 1, 2, highframerate, 1337, whatever. Doesn't matter. Just make it so it says something besides BF2.

After this is done, find your launch icon on your desktop (if you have one), go to Properties and adjust the target line to fit the icon you just renamed the standard "BF2" from. Hit apply, and you're done.
    Your icon for BF2 may or may not change to a blank .exe symbol, and ASE may ask if you uninstalled, but rest assured everything is still where it should be.

"Well what does this do then?" you ask. Put simply, it turns BF2 from a resource and system hog to a regular, stable game. As far as I know it has something to do with Nvidia and ATI creating special "game profiles" that work with the game to "maximize performance" and run special stuff that's directly related to the game. Turns out you don't need any of that.

------------------------------------------------------------
    Okay, some people are a little confused. Basically all you have to do is go into the root folder of your game and change the name of the file that launches the game to something else. EX: BF2's executable file (what will launch the game) is called BF2 (or BF2.exe), so all you need to do is change the game's name from BF2/BF2.exe to something like BF2opt/BF2opt.exe, or BF21337, or anything other than BF2.
    Last edited by Panda Man; 12th-December-2005 at 23:55.

Thanks
    EP Points

I thin I get what you're saying, like, ATi would have something that goes somethign like "IF BF2 is run, THEN load up all this shit~, ELSE, don't." Would it not?
    http://www.epforums.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29796&dateline=143454  3972

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by R^K
    I thin I get what you're saying, like, ATi would have something that goes somethign like "IF BF2 is run, THEN load up all this shit~, ELSE, don't." Would it not?
    pretty much, not exactly like that but you get what its saying.

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm giving this a bump, as b4 i applied this to BF2, I couldn't get above 30 FPS with the grfx details on low. Now i can play in medium and get around 45-58 FPS (according to FRAPS anyways )

EDIT: highest i ever got was 78 FPS... also, all the clocks are at their manufacturer's ratings, and i have all my normal processes running, I haven't closed anything
    Last edited by Panda Man; 13th-December-2005 at 00:40.

Thanks

I'm not in any games, and I dont see why anybody would have issues with me ok I'm finished now

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Lag
    I'm not in any games, and I dont see why anybody would have issues with me ok I'm finished now
    your in like, EVERY multiplayer game, and we want you to get out!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Panda Man
    your in like, EVERY multiplayer game, and we want you to get out!
    That's my brother then. He has a big weener and... No, that's me in your multiplayer games

Thanks

Default An Idea

Would this tactic work with Unreal Tournament? Some servers kick me out just because of my ping. I know it's an old game, but I am hesitant to buy another online shooter if I can't even play smoothly on UT. I am using a wireless broadband adapter which is connected at 54 Mbps so I am sure it is not my connection that is the problem.
    Last edited by Kazuya; 13th-December-2005 at 04:24. Reason: "Every really new idea looks crazy at first."
    As long as you got the power and the pad, you'll get the womens.

Listen to the Mission

Thanks
    EP Points

Video card profiles shouldn't affect network speed... well, at least I seriously hope so. So, none of the above would lessen lag, only graphics choppiness, if I understand correctly.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by pkt-zer0
    Video card profiles shouldn't affect network speed... well, at least I seriously hope so. So, none of the above would lessen lag, only graphics choppiness, if I understand correctly.
    You got pwned pandan00b.

Also, you can simply edit the profile in ATI CP or Nvidia CP and that'll be it... Why the hassle to rename stuff inside the game? You cna also prolly get a few more FPS there by setting the correct settings AKA removing AA, AF (if there's some) and lowering mipmap and texture quality.

Anyway, cool people know that you should get the Omega drivers for ATI and stick with the normal drivers for Nvidia (since omegas are on hold). =D
    http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Thanks

Would this work for a game like Counter Strike? I am not sure since it runs off of steam.
    Requests -
    Warhawk (PSX)
    Thank you kids.

Thanks

Well, it didn't work for UT. Ping is still around 150.

Listen to the Mission

Thanks
    EP Points

It doesnt effect ping! It effects video card lag, not network.

Thanks

Oh really? I ... knew that!

Listen to the Mission